Print Thread
#260201 11/03/17 09:34 PM
A
adder Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Hi I'm trying to connect to a sites irc. I've entered the server name and the port numbers then it says SSL: supported... So how do I do that ? Then the site instructions says "The certificate is self-signed so it will fail verification. Depending on your client, you may need to explicitly disable verification in order to connect via SSL."... What the 'Bleep' does that mean ?
Thanks

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Self Signed SSL certificates are the normal for encrypted SSL IRC ports. It's the same idea as using HTTPS instead of HTTP, except that websites normally go through a signed certificate trust authority.

To specify that an IRC port is going to be SSL, in mIRC, you need to add a plus before the port number. ie: +6697 or +9999

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
A
adder Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Thanks ever so much for your help, looks like I'm a step further and I've enter the sites channe. As it's an invite only channel I've got to wait for an email on the next instructions. So i'm sure I'll be back asking more questions. Not very easy this irc is it ?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's just an open piece of the internet that existed before AOL, MySpace, Facebook and other walled gardens. Some configuration may be required. Really no different than setting up a proper email client (not webmail).

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard