mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#257510 17/04/16 12:04 AM
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I tried to connect to an IRC server and it repeatedly failed. I then, today, had a notification pop up that there was an update (to 7.44, *was* using 7.34, I believe) so I went to the link and it downloaded.
Now it won't install the file, even though I removed mIRC entirely.

Please help! I only recently found my power cord for my laptop and am jonesing to get back into chat...

Also, I use Windows Vista.

Last edited by CDsAreOutdated; 17/04/16 12:11 AM. Reason: Windows Version addition.

~CDs ARE Outdated...
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What happens when you try to run the mirc744.exe install file? Do you see any error messages?

Are you using anti-virus software? Which version? Have you updated it to make sure that its anti-virus signatures/database are up-to-date?

C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
No error messages, nothing happens.

I disabled my anti-virus software and still, nothing. I updated it yesterday.

~CDs ARE Outdated...
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am afraid I have not heard of this happening before - no one else has reported this and mIRC v7.44 has been downloaded tens of thousands of times since release. I would recommend trying to download mIRC again from the mIRC website and double-checking that your anti-virus is not the cause of the issue. If you manage to find out the reason, please let us know.

C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I disabled my anti-virus program and stopped the firewall...I think it's Windows Defender and I can't figure out how to disable it, even with the instructions.

I think deleting it entirely is the only option I have. I don't know beyond that but will update if/when it works.

Edit: I also couldn't install a messenger program because of anti-virus and what-have-you.

Last edited by CDsAreOutdated; 19/04/16 04:09 AM.

~CDs ARE Outdated...
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
It's been a minute but I'd given up out of frustration for a bit...
I tried to install the 7.45 update but, alas, to no avail. The 6.35 file installed just fine, not even 5 minutes ago but I have yet to see if it will connect to my main chat rooms.

Will post if it doesn't work.

Edit: NOPE. Not connecting. I think it's due to an outdated version and the compatibility of the server I was used to using.
Suuuuucks.

Last edited by CDsAreOutdated; 02/06/16 06:16 AM. Reason: Update. For an update. A.K.A. - Oxymoron post.

~CDs ARE Outdated...
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It sounds like you have two separate issues.

1) mIRC won't install. This probably is related to anti-virus. You've already mentioned that AV has blocked at least one other problem from installing, so it's entirely feasible it is blocking mIRC too. Disable it temporarily and try again.

2) You are unable to connect to servers. This is likely a firewall issue. Disable your Windows firewall and AV firewall (again, temporarily) to confirm this. You mentioned you could not figure out how to disable your firewall. It's explained here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...f=windows-vista

Managing your anti-virus and/or firewall are likely out of scope of mIRC support. Although someone might chime in with extra info, you're probably better off asking a question like "how do I temporarily disable ____" in the respective support forums for your anti-virus and firewall. You're more likely to get a proper response there. All information seems to indicate this is an issue with other software on your system and not mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard