mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I have multiple server entries that share the same IP and port values, and only differ by their password field. They are to my ZNC which allows me to connect to multiple networks through the same bounce server.

It was not possible to add these server entries through the mIRC interface. Server entries are uniquely identified by their IP or Host, so creating a new entry with the same IP/Host will delete a previous entry. I had to add these entries by hand to my server.ini file.

This works. Sort of. I can type /server znc-freenode and /server -m znc-efnet and connect through my ZNC to both networks. A bug appears, however, when I /disconnect and reconnect with the blank /server command. Eg, Instead of reconnecting to znc-efnet, it will connect to znc-freenode by sending the wrong server entry's password (this password instructs znc which network to connect to).

Resolution of this will require some new way to distinguish server entries besides solely on their IP/Host.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Are you using an older version of mIRC?

This was discussed in depth in this topic: https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/244052/Connect_to_networks

Khaled mentioned using the 'password' field for lookups in the future, I don't know if it was ever added.

I do believe there's a solution to your problem in this topic though, so please take a look and I'll try to reproduce your problems later if necessary.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I'm using the current stable release; 7.36

The problem still exists in this version, but thank you for the link.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
A bug appears, however, when I /disconnect and reconnect with the blank /server command. Eg, Instead of reconnecting to znc-efnet, it will connect to znc-freenode by sending the wrong server entry's password (this password instructs znc which network to connect to).

This is by design. When you type /server, mIRC will connect to the most recently connected server address (the one shown in the status window titlebar). It has worked this way ever since the /server command was created. If you would like it to connect to the server group name, you will either need to type /server group, or set up an alias that changes the default behaviour of /server to connect to a group name instead of a server address.

Quote:
Resolution of this will require some new way to distinguish server entries besides solely on their IP/Host.

As Loki mentioned, this has been previously discussed and one idea was to use the server password as a distinguisher, although that too is not ideal in cases where the same password is used for multiple entries, so it doesn't seem like a practical solution.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Following up on my post, I think I see a way to make /server work better in this context. Currently, /server with no parameters tries to find the server in your servers list based solely on the server address. I will extend it so that it tries to find a match based on address, group, and description, in that order of priority. The best matching item in the servers list will be assumed to be the target server. That should resolve the /server issue for identical addresses in different groups that you described.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Thank you Khaled.

At the same time you're working on this, how do you feel about the option "Connect on startup" being expanded to reconnect to all previous server instances that were loaded last time mIRC closed? Eg, "Multi-server connect on startup"

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
It was not possible to add these server entries through the mIRC interface. Server entries are uniquely identified by their IP or Host, so creating a new entry with the same IP/Host will delete a previous entry. I had to add these entries by hand to my server.ini file.

I have not yet been able to reproduce this issue here. I have added multiple entries with the same descriptions, addresses and ports through the servers dialog without any issues so far. Are you sure that this is happening with the latest version of mIRC?

Link Copied to Clipboard