mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Tozz Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
I am running mIRC 7.32 on a dual-stacked machine (native IPv4 and IPv6). I am able to connect to IPv6 servers that have both A as AAAA DNS records, but I am unable to connect to hostnames that only contain an AAAA record.

For example, I am unable to connect to irc6.quakenet.org. This results in:

Code:
[15:47] * Connecting to irc6.quakenet.org (6667)
[15:47] * Unable to resolve server

However, /dns irc6.quakenet.org works fine:
Code:
[15:54] * Dns resolving irc6.quakenet.org
[15:54] * Dns resolved irc6.quakenet.org to 2001:16d8:aaaa:2::1337

Although this works, it contradicts what I read from mirc.com/whatsnew.txt:

Quote:
72.Updated /dns command, now multi-threaded, resolves concurrently, and can return both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. By default, /dns only returns IPv4. You can use the switches -46 to return a combination of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

According to the changelog, /dns should only return IPv4 addresses or should be explicitly told to resolve IPv6 addresses.

Connecting using /server 2001:16d8:aaaa:2::1337 works fine.

Last edited by Tozz; 18/08/13 03:49 PM.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
"72.Updated /dns command, now multi-threaded, resolves concurrently, and can return both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. By default, /dns only returns IPv4. You can use the switches -46 to return a combination of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses."

you may (guess) be reading this wrong, i think that means if both types can be displayed it defaults to 4 but if only one can come back, I would think it would present the one it gets..

I am sure others will know for sure...

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's more complicated than that. See https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=8&Number=229619#229603.

If you set "Prioritize IPv6 addresses", you've enabled IPv6 priority mode-- this includes priority mode for /server and /dns commands. The short changelog entry omits this extra logic, because it's not common, and the full explanation would have made for a wordy entry.

Things get even more complicated for hosts that have no A entries, by the way-- I think that changelog entry also does not take that into account either, because that is even less common.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
agrv0, thanks for the see, as well as the additional information, not my thread, but this helps me to understand this issue a bit more.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!

Link Copied to Clipboard