mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
jbclem1 Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
J
I keep five or 6 stock market chat rooms open when I'm connected, but only check one of them regularly (#newsroom),so I leave it open/visible all the time. But often when I come back to mIRC to check #newsroom, one of the other chat rooms will be open/visible/on top. I assume that's because a new message has come in and caused this other chat room to take the open position.

Is there a way to set mIRC up so that this doesn't happen. I'd like #newsroom to always be open/visible/on top, regardless of what's happening. I've looked but haven't found a setting that would make this happen.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you join multiple channels and arrange them in a particular order, they should remain in that order. There is no feature in mIRC that will make a window come to the front when a message is received in a window - that would be very disruptive as it would make following a conversation in a particular window impossible.

Are you sure this is what is happening? If you run mIRC and join your channels and then watch as messages come into the channels, do the windows change position?

J
jbclem1 Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
J
I have mIRC set up to open/join all these channels when I start up the program, so they open in the same way each time. I usually go to #newsroom and leave it there. Sometimes I'll notice the name of a room flashing, I assume that's when there is a new message in that room. But it doesn't switch to that room when that happens.

What's been occurring happens after I switch to another window /program on my computer, and especially when I do that and then go away from this computer for a while. I come back and switch to mIRC and instead of #newsroom being open (as it was when I left mIRC), a different room will be open(at the front). I doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough to be annoying.

I'm using mIRC 7.1 and Windows 2000.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As you are using an old version of mIRC, I would recommend upgrading to the latest version to see if that resolves the issue for you. There have been hundred of fixes and changes to mIRC since v7.1, so it may be that one of them resolves the issue you are seeing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Can you look at your logs? That sounds like you're leaving the channel for some reason and re-joining. Maybe someone kicked you out and you have auto-rejoin enabled.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
That sounds like you're leaving the channel for some reason and re-joining.

Good point! That does sound like it would cause the issue being reported.

J
jbclem1 Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
J
That gives me an idea...for some reason I get a lot of disconnects from some or all of the chat rooms I have up. When the rooms reconnect one of them (not always #newsroom) will come to the front. It just happened a few minutes ago, two rooms disconnected and one of them jumped in front of #newsroom.

Is it normal for rooms to disconnect? It's very annoying when the disconnect and reconnect notice windows take up the entire right side of the screen when I'm trying to read a document on a web site...and it's a fairly common event. I was actually going to ask (in another help request) if there was a way to keep these reconnect notice windows from taking up so much screen space.

If my original problem is being caused by the disconnect and reconnecting of chat rooms/channels, is possible to keep the reconnecting windows from jumping to the front/top?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you look in the mIRC Options/IRC dialog, do you have the "Keep channels open" option enabled? If not, enabling it may resolve the issue you are seeing.

J
jbclem1 Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
J
Thanks, I'll try that. But is it normal for channels to disconnect regularly as I'm experiencing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Your connection to an IRC server can be disconnected for many different reasons, ranging from the server itself experiencing issues to your internet provider closing the connection because they think it looks suspicious. Some users experience server disconnections often while other users experience them rarely. If you find yourself being disconnected from an IRC server often, you could try connecting to a different IRC server on the same IRC network to see if that helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard