mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
krypto Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
mIRC should display a warning message or ask if the user wishes to paste a line ending with a linechange. Currently that pasted line will be said or attempted to be said when the users pastes that line to a channel/status/private message window if it contains a linechange at the end. This would prevent accidental walls of text or just single lines being pasted to IRC channels. I have no idea why this STILL is a feature in the very current version of mIRC.

Setting the confirmation to pasting text to 1 line doesn't work, because mIRC treats the linechange as 1 line. So to mIRC, pasting:

"Hello.
"

is the same as pasting

"Hello."

You're asked, on both cases (if confirmation limit is set to 1), if you wish to paste the following lines 'Hello.'. While the first will actually say that line, the latter will only paste it so that you can write something else or edit the line before saying it. I think this should be in the bugs section, but it's been there for SO long it's more like a feature that nobody wants but everyone has to use. All it would take is a little confirmation message that users could enable or disable.

Last edited by krypto; 30/08/12 09:05 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, the confirmation does prevent walls of text, which was one item you said was a problem. The only place where it isn't already available is the example you gave. And I agree that that should be tweaked to avoid that problem.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
This behavior does seem strange.

You might prefer the "automatic" editbox size setting which avoids the need for a confirmation message.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
mIRC doesn't ask for a confirmation if you use the automatic editboxes feature when pasting "one line of text", only if you use "single/multiple lines".
This is a bug and should be fixed because pasting "one line of text" while using the "single/multiple lines" feature won't actually send the message, no need for a confirmation.

This is the only problem here and you should have reported it in the "bug report" section of the forum, the option that ask you for a confirmation if there's a new line is already available, set the confirmation to 1 and you'll be asked when pasting more than one line.

Anyway, I think that the feature really should be named "Confirm when pasting more than [] lines of text", because if you use "1" with the actual wording, it means that you're going to be asked even for a single line, which doesn't make sense because as I said, a single line isn't going to be sent, there's no need for a confirmation, the number of line required for a confirmation should always be minimum 2

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
K
krypto Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Can you make the topic in the bug reports forum and link it here? I think I might not get the message through so that people understand it correctly smile

EDIT: There are many ways to deal with this issue. One would be to ask for confirmation as I already explained, the second way could be to select the default action that mIRC takes on pasting text with a linechange. Currently the default action is /say. Someone might want /me or /echo or maybe some other custom alias.

Last edited by krypto; 31/08/12 06:21 PM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I cannot do that, you can just post this in the bug report section or wait for a moderator to move it.

There are not many ways to deal with this issue, the feature is not working correctly and should be fixed.

You are mixing things up, if you think having an option to select the default behavior when pasting lines is a good idea then suggest it but don't use a single post to report a bug, to suggest something etc, make a new thread for each thing.

K
krypto Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
I don't even know what the bug is that you and drum figured out. I just use the default editbox. My feature request was to prevent accidental saying of pasted text because if it contains a linechange at the end, mIRC's default action to that line is /say.

EDIT: And I don't consider this to be a bug, because it's more like a feature that should be tweaked. The only "bug" here is that mIRC doesn't show the linechange to the user even if they demand it (eg. by setting the paste limit to 1). However, it's been like this since the very first versions of mIRC, so it's more like a feature at this point.
EDIT2: Looking closer at YOUR post, you didn't even read what the feature request and problem was and you just made up your own bug and then complain that I didn't create a thread about the bug YOU found out in the bugs section. You didn't even test out what I wrote in the very first message or you didn't understand it at all. It's not about confirmation on pasting multiple lines, it's about confirmation on pasting lines that contain a linechange at the end (hex: 0D 0A) because mIRC will always /say a line that has that at the end.

Last edited by krypto; 01/09/12 06:39 AM.
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: krypto
I don't even know what the bug is that you and drum figured out. I just use the default editbox. My feature request was to prevent accidental saying of pasted text because if it contains a linechange at the end, mIRC's default action to that line is /say.

Go to Options > Display > Options, and check the "editbox lines" setting to "automatic". Then paste stuff in an editbox and you'll see what we're talking about. My guess is you'll like this behavior better than the confirmation message. Not that we don't agree that the confirmation message could use some work, but honestly it's kind of obsolete anyway.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
It's not about confirmation on pasting multiple lines, it's about confirmation on pasting lines that contain a linechange at the end (hex: 0D 0A)
"multiple lines" implies a line break, which is why what I'm talking about is the same as what you are talking about, the feature is there: a confirmation message when pasting content with line break.

Edit: after re-reading your post, I'm not even sure about what you are asking for because you are saying you are asked on both cases for confirmation (cases being pasting "one line of text" and "one line of text\n" where the \n means a newline, while using the single line feature for the editboxes). Being asked for confirmation when there's a line break is what you are looking for, isn't it?

Last edited by Wims; 01/09/12 07:13 AM.

K
krypto Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: drum
Go to Options > Display > Options, and check the "editbox lines" setting to "automatic". Then paste stuff in an editbox and you'll see what we're talking about. My guess is you'll like this behavior better than the confirmation message.
That works, but I'd still like to see some confirmation before mIRC does something automatically. The whole settings menu could use a lot of work too because that option was pretty well hidden there, not to mention a lot of the settings in mIRC are split into 2 or more different locations. In this case confirmation on editbox pasting is under Other->Confirm and the editbox size is under Display->Options.

Originally Posted By: Wims
"multiple lines" implies a line break, which is why what I'm talking about is the same as what you are talking about, the feature is there: a confirmation message when pasting content with line break.
If a line ends in a line break and the next line is empty, mIRC treats those "two lines" as one. That is a bug and I'll make a thread about it.

So to mIRC, currently...
"Hello.
"
is one line

and

"Hello.
a"
is two lines.

There could also be a warning before mIRC actually does a /say and for what reason someone decided that mIRC's default action should be /say when it encounters a line change in the first place, is beyond me. So instead of /say on line change, it should be either warning (my first suggestion), alternative action (currently /say is default and can't be changed) or just not /say that at all (drum's suggestion of automatic editbox size). This is what my feature suggestion was about in the first place.

EDIT: Topic should be fixed to match this, but I'm not sure what one would call it and I doubt I can even change it now. "Add confirmation on automatic /say when pasting lines?" whistle

Originally Posted By: Wims
Being asked for confirmation when there's a line break is what you are looking for, isn't it?
Being asked for confirmation if mIRC wants to automatically /say a pasted line is what I'm really looking for.

EDIT: Even though one might think that asking for confirmation on a single line paste that doesn't get the /say treatment is stupid, someone might still want that feature. So I wouldn't remove it or make a bug report about that.

Last edited by krypto; 01/09/12 09:55 AM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
If a line ends in a line break and the next line is empty, mIRC treats those "two lines" as one. That is a bug and I'll make a thread about it.
I really think this is done on purpose, line break seperate lines, but "hello\n" is still one line of text, empty lines are not considered as lines of text.

When you use the single line feature, messaging the active window with the content of the clipboard when pasting (and if there's more than one line) does make sense, I'm not sure why you're seeing this as a wrong behavior.
Quote:

Being asked for confirmation if mIRC wants to automatically /say a pasted line is what I'm really looking for.
And since mIRC only does this when there are multiple line (I don't think it should warn you when pasting one line but this is my opinion and you have a fair point indeed, people who doesn't want to be warned for one line could set that feature to 2, letting the ability to be warned for one line), the actual feature is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Wims; 01/09/12 09:57 PM.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Specifically, the issue is that the confirmation dialog does not give you any indication whether a single line of text contains a CRLF at the end or not. Because of this, it's not useful if you want to use the feature to prevent yourself from accidentally sending text immediately after pasting before being able to edit it. The dialog does not give you any way to distinguish between "test\r\n" which would immediately be sent after pasting and "test" which would not.

To correct this would be simple, requiring only one change: never show a confirmation dialog if pasting would not cause text to be automatically sent, even if the setting is set to 1. That would make the setting of '1' be useful, since it would allow you to distinguish between pasting "test\r\n" and "test", as I explained above.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Right, like I said, for me, when you are asked, it should be because the text is going to be sent.

Link Copied to Clipboard