Print Thread
#237290 24/04/12 02:47 AM
I
im317 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
I
sometime in the past few days mIRC stopped opening links. i had it set up so that right clicking on a link brought up options to copy the link, open the link, or open it in a new browser. those options still show up, however when i chose open it does nothing for several seconds and then beeps.

what do i need to do to fix this?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
it helps to know which boxes are checked in mirc-options/irc/catcher.

also helps to know if mirc knows your browser is there. when you type "//echo -a $url" it should show the url of whatever webpage is open in your browser.

I
im317 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
"//echo -a $url" gives me a "* /echo: insufficient parameters" reply. as for the boxes i only have the following checked

enable support
confirm requests
activate the window
delete ? items on exit
send description

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Your mirc-options settings look reasonable.

If the $url variable is not being filled even though you currently have a webpage open in your browser, perhaps your browser is no longer defined as your 'default browser'. If you open the browser and save any .html webpage to your local hard drive, then what happens when you double-click on that .html from windows-explorer? For internet explorer, it at the top of the programs tab of internet-options. You can google for it if you use another browser, ie searching for keywords something like: "default browser" "the-name-of-my-browser-program".

I
im317 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
im using Firefox, same as before and it is set as my default browser.

what else can it be?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Which version of windows are you using?

Last edited by Wims; 24/04/12 10:41 PM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
if the echo command i had you use didn't echo anything to screen, then either you made a mistake by either not using the double slash or mis-typing the command, or you didn't have a webpage open. If mIRC can't see your web browser to even fill in the active $url, then i'm pretty sure that's the problem that needs fixing and will solve your original question.

You didn't answer my question about what happens when you try to 'run' an .html file from within windows explorer (not i.e.).

It might also be helpful to identify your mirc setup to us, to tell us the reply echoed from:

//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You dont have a alias that answer to "$url" ? cos that can give you some problems..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
I
im317 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Wims
Which version of windows are you using?

Originally Posted By: maroon
if the echo command i had you use didn't echo anything to screen, then either you made a mistake by either not using the double slash or mis-typing the command, or you didn't have a webpage open. If mIRC can't see your web browser to even fill in the active $url, then i'm pretty sure that's the problem that needs fixing and will solve your original question.

You didn't answer my question about what happens when you try to 'run' an .html file from within windows explorer (not i.e.).

It might also be helpful to identify your mirc setup to us, to tell us the reply echoed from:

//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

i did use the correct command. "//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)"

gives me

"7 7.22 912dfaee60f144853a33231688312686 ok 1 1 0 0"

trying to run a .html file from windows explorer gets me a error message that reads "there was a problem sending the command to the program."

Originally Posted By: sparta
You dont have a alias that answer to "$url" ? cos that can give you some problems..

not even sure what this means.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:

trying to run a .html file from windows explorer gets me a error message that reads "there was a problem sending the command to the program."

This is the crux of your problem. It appears that either your default browser is no longer set as your default browser, or it's mis-behaving. Try going to INTERNET EXPLORER and go to tools/internet-options and the programs tab, and click on "make default". This -should- make windows-explorer launch an .html into IE, and should allow mirc to push a link into IE. (it's possible that you might need to restart mirc before it sees a change in default browser, i'm not sure).

If that fixed the problem, you can go back to firefox and re-select that browser as your official default browser. If the problem was solved with IE but appears again after switching back to firefox, your firefox setup might need fixing or reinstalling.

When you put "there was a problem sending the command to the program." into google, you find lots of hits about this problem.

In summary, your problem is in windows itself - mirc is merely how you are stumbling across this problem.

I
im317 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
thanks for all the help. it works in IE so now i have to figure out what is wrong in Firefox. you guys were great, fast response time and easy to understand.

Link Copied to Clipboard