mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#23395 09/05/03 05:21 PM
L
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
Now, this has been posted about countless times, but what I am suggesting is a work around for it, which I am sure would be easy for Khaled to implement. If you have NO ON TEXT events, and someone sends some text to a channel with spaces in it, they display correctly. If you have an ON TEXT event, they do not. This is because of the parsing etc.. If mIRC can echo the text from the server correctly without being scripted, then it should be able to do the same scripted.

$stext Displays raw text from server unparsed.

Simple as that.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
This has been suggested many times, although the name most people suggested was $rawtext

L
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
Of course, I was about to use $rawtext as well. It has been suggested many times, but it needs to be added.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Perhaps if the $1- parameter in all events/aliases could also be dumped to a binvar; &1-, then the user can work with the raw data... binarily. smile

Next, you would need to have commands like /echo and /msg support &binvars, and everyone should be happy.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
That's even a better idea Racoon...

--------------------------------------------------
I really don't know anything.... I just fake it
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well (in theory) /msg can't support binary data. IRC is a text based protocol. If the text contains a $cr a $lf or a $null, the IRC server is going to ignore all text after that. Actually not ignore, you'll get a "Unknown command <word after that char>" error.

R
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
At the moment /msg behaves like raw PRIVMSG $1 : +$ $2-
For example:
//msg $me hi $crlf privmsg $me :ho
Messages yourself 2 times.

I don't see the problem if you could send binary data instead...

$input(Me like stars, You too?)
Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
The problem with that is it'll be a bit longer.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
codemastr, it would be up to the user to make sure the data he sends through /msg via &binvar is appropriate. This should be obvious. You can send Good Data and Bad Data with standard %vars, as is (empty, too long, cr, lf, etc)... you will be able to do the same with &binvars too (null, too long, etc).

The point is, with &binvars you can preserve the freshness of the message and all its space-padded goodness, and alter or display this data as you please.

The only difference between "binary data" and "plain text" as far as mIRC is concerned, are 3 control characters that cannot be displayed as text (or formatting). Null, CR, LF. The other 253 characters can be displayed and handled just fine.

- Raccoon

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
zac, Binary data is no 'longer' than plain text. We're not talking unicoded text (which would be useful for international users), so the length is exactly the same. Unless of corse you have padded-spaces, then it'll be that much longer. wink

- Raccoon

Link Copied to Clipboard