mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
I can connect to the irc only with CGI IRC... What's the problem? pls help frown

(I have win xp, firewall - zone alarm)

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
uhm any error messages or connection fail messages? its a bit like asking why the car wont start smile

Happy mIRC user on Linux
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lol, exactly. My guess would be Zone Alarm blocking IRC and it not being able to detect/block CGI IRC. Do a search on this forum for Zone Alarm and you'll find information on setting up IRC as being "safe" in the Zone Alarm settings. From everything I hear about Zone Alarm, it seems to be one of the worst firewalls around -- all I hear about are problems with it and I rarely hear of problems with other firewalls (other than Norton).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
oh, sry, error message: * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

I mean my problem isn't in Zone Alarm, I use mIRC for months, my problem started this week.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Antivirus, antispyware, and firewall softwares all perform automatic updates. If the software manufacturer suddenly decides that IRC is 'bad' they could release an update which blocks IRC by default. If that is the case, you will have to find that option in your software and disable it or get better software.

-genius_at_work

M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
If I turn off FW it doesn't help.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
reason why CGI:IRC does work is that it runs server side and everything is send to your over regular port 80 HTTP trafic...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
I have been using mIRC for years and my connection problems also started last week. I am researching the java.net.socketexception.connectionreset but am just lost.

Link Copied to Clipboard