mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
pauly6 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
Ive been on irc for a long time and havent seen a tutorial for new users regarding how they may create channels with a space in them in my searches , so i thought id write up a quick example here and see if someone may be able to tell us about a quicker way other than adding a addon like Channel Magic. From what ive seen its like it a guarded secret or something LOL
Heres what i have to do :
I have mirc open and connected to my server of choice (in my case ircnet)
I use win XP and open character map which is done by Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/character map
In the open character map screen i choose the font Arial Black and move the mouse to the blank font which is located on the right of the ~ symbol its unicode number is +00A0 , i select that symbol and copy to clipboard.
WOW that was the hard part blush)
Now for those who dont know about cut and paste shortcuts : in mirc you can move your mouse over any text while holding down the left button and it will copy the highlighted text to clipboard once you release the mouse button, and to paste the text to the desired place you open the window to paste the text to and hold down Ctrl key and press the letter v.
So when i type later Ctrl+v i mean do the paste technique above.
So to continue once you have selected and copied the no-space symbol from character map and have mirc open in the status window you type /join #ThisCtrl+vIsCtrl+vACtrl+vSpacedCtrl+vChannel
Its as easy as that, but i would recommend you save the spaced channel to favourites as it will save you having to redo all of the above just to rejoin it.
Im not sure if its possible to join spaced channels on other irc servers but why not give it a try blush)
Maybe the mirc coders could even think about adding the space channel ability to its excellent script.
Have fun.
Regards PaulY^ on ircnet

Last edited by pauly6; 08/08/05 01:12 AM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You're not using actual spaces, you're using non-breaking spaces, which won't appear correctly on all fonts users may be using.

Furthermore, channels with real spaces in would make a complete mess of the entire IRC protocol as it currently stands. mIRC doesn't have control over how the IRC protocol works, either. mIRC is just one client in a world of dozens of clients and hundreds of networks all operating independently of the others.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Nice one! Good old nbsp finally has a use, eh.

P
pauly6 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Collective.
Ummm what sort of reply was that?
of course it uses no-space characters and what is with all the stuff about irc servers and the way they link.
Irc gets strangerer and strangerer. smile

Regards PaulY^ from IRCNet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

An accurate one?

Quote:
what is with all the stuff about irc servers and the way they link.

I didn't say anything about the way they link. Fact is the parameters for IRC messages are space-delimited (for the most part). Channel names with spaces in them would be impossible.

Perhaps your lack of understanding eminates from the fact you didn't actually read the post properly to start with.

You asked mIRC to allow channels with spaces in the name. mIRC can't, because IRC doesn't. Using NBSP in a mIRC-only venture would be ugly as hell.

P
pauly6 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Theres one in every chatroom i spose.
Anyways folks hope yas enjoy being able to create rooms that look like(for all intents and purposes ) that they are rooms with spaces instead of having rooms that look like #this_Is_Not_A_Spaced_Channel.
Regards PaulY^ from ircnet.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Charmed, I'm sure.

I hope they enjoy the questions from people wondering why the channel name looks a mess in their client.

Real spaces in channel names = Impossible
NBSP in channel names = Ugly

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It was about the inaccurate idea your post title and, really, the main body gives to anyone reading it. Your method doesn't add "spaces" in the general sense of the word, i.e. you won't be able to type /join #some spaces here and find that it works. His post was also mentioning that it won't display properly on all fonts (not everyone on IRC uses the same font, surprise surprise).

He said nothing of servers linking together, but simply mentioning that you seem to think if the "mirc coders" (of which there is only one, Khaled) wanted to, he could integrate spaces in channels across the whole of IRC. This is incorrect for the reasons collective was pointing out - IRC and mIRC are two separate things, and it's more to do with the ircd than the client anyway, which is down to the independently run hundreds of IRC networks out there.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
pauly6 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Ok i changed the topic heading, maybe that wont atrract such a harsh reaction eh.
Regards PaulY^ from ircnet

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You weren't getting a harsh reaction, but you were completely arrogant to someone who was simply pointing out where your requests/information were flawed. This is not meant to put you down, but keep the quality of the information on this forum a GOOD quality, for any users browsing the forum smile

Thanks for sharing your info!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
pauly6 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Without a doubt the arrogance came from Collective in the first instance with his comment: Perhaps your lack of understanding eminates from the fact you didn't actually read the post properly to start with.
But im sure you would say he was making an accurate observation in your opinion, so it dont matter much what i have to say really, i will say tho that as to both your comments about the font issue in my first post i made it more than clear i used arial black font and i was using win xp altho i did omit the fact i used unicode, which i didnt feel was that big an issue at the time.
This was meant as only a fun thing for new users to have information about and not a in depth critism of whether the illusion of spaced channels was a good thing or bad thing.
And the suggestion that the coders of mirc might look at adding it as an option was just that, a suggestion not an attack on anyones credentials.
as with most users i have spoken with who have read this post i have come to the conclusion this forum is just another clicky forum for ppl who like to put down in any way they can ideas they dont put forward themselves, or maybe jump ahead of themselves in there evaluation of a suggestion and assume there opinion is the only one that matters.
I wont post again here and any help i may have offered i hope is helpful to those who may be actually interested.
In the second instance i also mentioned i have used this on ircnet only and to try it on other servers if anyone so desired, altho i do know it also works on EfNet.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

Nope, no arrogance there at all!

Quote:
And the suggestion that the coders of mirc might look at adding it as an option was just that, a suggestion not an attack on anyones credentials.

There's still only one coder by the way. Same as yesterday.

Quote:
as with most users i have spoken with who have read this post i have come to the conclusion this forum is just another clicky forum for ppl who like to put down in any way they can ideas they dont put forward themselves, or maybe jump ahead of themselves in there evaluation of a suggestion and assume there opinion is the only one that matters.

In other words "someone disagrees with me and I don't like it!"
These forums are a place for people to voice their opinions. You voiced yours, I voiced mine. If you don't like it, you're right, you shouldn't post any more.

K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Just press and hold Alt and type 0160 on your numeric keypad, then release Alt. Now you got a nice little character that looks like a space on some fonts, and looks like something else on other fonts. It's problably easier if you select and copy (ctrl-c) and paste (ctrl-v) that if you need it multiple times.

Just be prepared to have people complain on other channels or pm that your channel #I is empty or from someone else, when you're on "#I have lots of alt0160s in this channel name" smile

P
pauly6 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Kelder, thanks for the info, i had tried quite a few combos but not that particular one before i found using the character map was looking to be the easy was out, for me the Alt 0160 works a treat.

Link Copied to Clipboard