Print Thread
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hi,
First i had a speedtouch ADSL USB modem, and DCC sends works fine. I also tried Ericsson HM121dp ADSL USB modem. Also, everything is working

Now, i installed a ADSL modem + router (tried Belkin and Linksys, which are DSL model and router all in one), and they both show the same problem.
I've done port forwarding of
113, 59, 4000-4010, 6060 all TCP, and changed the DCC ports in mIRC to 4000-4010 also. Tried also disabling all firewalls, router firewall, DMZ, you can name it..

It comes all down to this :
the DCC send will start, but at a very low rate : 1.86 kb/s or something like that. It will quit after 5 seconds or so (the upload will keep getting down from 1.86 to 0 kb/s)
When using either the speedtouch or the ericson, the upload is at least 50 kb/s and working to (almost) every user.

So, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, someone tell me what the hell is going on ???... i've tried all the settings, read all the threads, nothing works!!...
Can someone PLEASE provide me a list on how to get this freakin router working with DCC sends !!!! (BTW : DCC gets works 100%)

Greetz,
JRLS

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Have you checked on the recievers end if its been recieved using the same ports as you send on? I experenced this with one router once but dont remeber the brand , I couldnt be bothered working out its configuration and just replaced it with another at hand.

Get someone to add
CTCP ^*:DCC SEND *:echo -st ENCOUNTERING : $1-
;$1 = dcc, $2 = send, $3 = filename, $4=LongIP, $5=Port $6=Filesize

Then when u send to them IF the port number has moved out of your range 4000-4010 to something crazy like 50,000. In simple terms its your router intercepting the dcc send order from you to them and changing the portnumber it to a new port which the router then rerouts to your 4000-4010 when it recieves info in that port from the reciever, I have found that this system almost never works frown The other tell tale sign from it is if users cant seem to do resumes from you, you get rejected messages (may or may not happen)

If this is the problem (it may well not be) just keep searching the router configs, I curse them config screens there hard to under stand and harder to get right.

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply!

Where should I let the receiver add this:
??
Just anywhere in the script ? (I could make a small add-in also and send it to them with my other model of course)

Anyway, suppose that the router is messing up the port numbers, what can i do in the routers config screens to fix that ??? e.g, what should i be looking for in those configs ??

Greetz,
JRLS

Last edited by JRLS; 26/03/05 10:48 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
alt-r/file/new

Just find out if they are different, if niot then this isnt the problem

H
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
H
Quote:
Then when u send to them IF the port number has moved out of your range 4000-4010 to something crazy like 50,000. In simple terms its your router intercepting the dcc send order from you to them and changing the portnumber it to a new port which the router then rerouts to your 4000-4010 when it recieves info in that port from the reciever, I have found that this system almost never works frown The other tell tale sign from it is if users cant seem to do resumes from you, you get rejected messages (may or may not happen)

If this is the problem (it may well not be) just keep searching the router configs, I curse them config screens there hard to under stand and harder to get right.

Hi, I've got a friend with this exact same problem. The port does indeed go to something silly, eg. 62681 or 62665. What kind of settings should they be looking to try and correct in their router config? Is there any hope? :tongue:

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
dont quote me on this, but i would look in PORT RANGE REMAPPING or NAT TRANSLATION.

Some times its also just a setting in things like PORT FORWARDING (sometimes called SERVICES) where you may have to forward the ports mirc wants to use for dcc to your pc from the router, some routers have a "base port" value, and if set to 63000 it well use that onwards externally but send to your mirc ports as mircs set values, some routers i have seen if its not set at all, it just chooses some 50,000+ number for you, so you have to set it to the same value as the port(s) your forwarding. Would have to really have a look at the router diags to find it for sure.

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
DaveC, wait a sec, let me get this straight:
You're saying that the router is changing the DCC ports to something else ?

So, i got DCC sends on 4000-4010 for example in options set in mIRC.
And also, i got the portforwarding in de router also on 4000-4010.
But you are saying, that the router is messing up the ports ??, so that it's sending on 50002 for example intsead of 4002 or something ??

So, the solution is : if i know what ports it is REALLY sending (for example 50002 instead of 4001), what should i do then ?
1- set the DCC sends of mIRC also to 50000-50010 ??
2- set port forwarding in router for 50000-50010 ??
3 - both ???

Also, it will send for 3 seconds, if i do netstat -na in DOS prompt, is that also a way to know on what ports it is indeed sending ?? (or do i let them add the script as the only way ?)

Greetz,
JRLS

Last edited by JRLS; 28/03/05 06:10 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Yeah ya got it, but not the answer, you cant open them 50000 ports also as then the router well liekly just uses some others frown

Ill try and explain

Ok one thing you need to know is when your mIRC sends a file to someone, first it sends a secret message to that user with "DCC SEND filename ip port filesize" the reciever then opens the connection to your ip using port and waits for you to send filename of filesize.

Knowing that above now...

Your mirc send the secret message, the router sees the message and changes the port value from 4001 to 50002 in the message
When the router gets an incoming comunication on port 50002 (from the reciever) it then connects this to your mirc on port 4001
And as far as you know your using port 4001 as far as the reciever knows your using port 50002, and everythings fine
It can all breaks down if...
(1) something goes wrong in the replacing of 4001 with 50002 which happens alot, the reciver gets "DCC SEND filename ip 45$*]-" and his end goes WTF is that!??!?!
(2) on some routers it doesnt deal with resume requests since that takes a secret message from the reciever in the form "DCC RESUME filename port startpos" and your mirc gets "DCC RESUME filename 50002 startpos" and goes WTF? im not sending to anyone on port 50002?!?!?!?!

You may well ask "ok what prat thought this stupid thing up?" I know i certianly did for a long time.

It is a usefull tool tho.
Assume you have some app that listens on port 3500 and returns some info about the machine its on when requested on that port.
But you have it on 4 machines behind the router on IPs 192.168.0.101-104
Now how are you going to request it from the specific machines, since you cant have the router forward port 3500 to all 4 machines
You set up a translation table something like so...
Internet In/out ound port 50001 <- translates to -> 3500 on 192.168.0.101
Internet In/out ound port 50002 <- translates to -> 3500 on 192.168.0.102
Internet In/out ound port 50003 <- translates to -> 3500 on 192.168.0.103
Internet In/out ound port 50004 <- translates to -> 3500 on 192.168.0.104

The on the machine out there you request the info using port 50001-50004 and it reaches the correct machine.

Now those are manually created ones of course, there is stuff in some routers to do this on its own, and also adjust the apps that uses ranges like mirc and send what port to use.
How exactly a router knows this stuff is a mystery to me, I tend to toss the ones that do this on there own, and use a brand I know dont do it.

Personally? I think routers are the work of the devil, Ciscos specificly! ( tho they are also the best hohum )

H
H
I guess the best solution would be a script that sends portions of files without relying on the dcc resume protocol.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
no rplace router is the best solution

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Thanks for the indepth answer. smile
Replace with which one ??
I used belkin and linksys.
Both dont work

Which brands of routers DO work ???

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
also, i tried this:
http://jdc.parodius.com/irc/dcc_nat.html

now, i can send to some people with normal speed, but to some people i get the same problem. startout slow, and then drop to 0 kb/s upload..
with those people were it happens, it says in netstat -na in DOS for example this:
11.11.11.11:34290 66.66.66.66:50001
where 11.11.11.11 is IP of receiver, and 66.66.66.66 is my IP. the port 50001 is correct, since i changed that in mIRC, obviously, port 34290 is NOT correct !

When i send to people with no problem, i see
11.11.11.11:1024 66.66.66.66:50001, which seems normal..

Any clues ??
and also, What router DOES NOT have these problems ???

Also, mIRC DCC send part needs to be rewritten so that it works properly with NAT !!! grin grin

Greetz,
JRLS

Last edited by JRLS; 30/03/05 07:38 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Port 34290 "may" be correct, the reciever doesnt need to uses the same port number as you, you well see 1024 alot since thats the base port for dcc in the default settings for mirc, the number 34290 could be the recievers low end of his dcc ports range, however its quite high for that and likely is due to the other person also having a router thats adjusting the port so each of you is doing it (groan another level of confusion).

The reason i didnt say what routers i uses, is becuase I also use Linksys (never had a problem with em and model) And i been looking in the spces for ya to see if i can see what it might be. Havent found anything tho. sorry.

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
The other person said, he saw this on his side:

11.11.11.11:5002 66.66.66.66:50001

so, port 34290 was seen as 5002 on his side.
i've been trying DCC sends for 2 hours now to several people. A lot of them i can send, but to at least as many i cannot send to. I have a linksys WAG54G.
(ADSL modem + router in one)

Im getting frustrated with this... crazy

Last edited by JRLS; 30/03/05 10:28 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Then he has the port adjustment going on on his end.

Isnt it nice when an extra layer of complxity gets added frown

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Yes, somehow in the process (with some people that also have routers), the port suddenly changes to another number.
I'm curious what can be done about THIS problem!

Should he ALSO do what is suggested here ?
http://jdc.parodius.com/irc/dcc_nat.html

Last edited by JRLS; 31/03/05 03:38 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard