mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#105166 13/12/04 08:15 AM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I have no idea what causes this but it is stopping me from my favorite channel! Help! Here's what it says "You are banned from Outsiderz (Your client has replied with a VERSION reply that constitues a forbidden client. Please only use a real IRC client."

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Are you using mIRC 6.16 with no scripts? If you're using a script, then it could be giving a version reply that that channel doesn't want. There are a lot of lame scripts out there that people do not want in their channels due to things like colourful spamming quit messages/part messages etc.

I suggest you only use a fresh mIRC client if you're not already.

Apart from that, I suggest you speak to the IRCops of the network as they know exactly why you're being detected. Check out their website and look for contact information if you don't know any already.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
I am having the same problem.

Spoongoon, do you use comcast?

S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
yea I have comcast too!

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Comcast has nothing to do with it unless they banned all of comcast with that reason, the network might have banned mIRC totaly or are you even using mirc? They might have banned an older version of mIRC so make sure you have the most up to date

C
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
C
You were not banned because of being a comcast customer.

You were banned because of the version reply that the mirc client application sends back to CTCP VERSION requests.

The channel probably has a channel bot of some sort which issued a CTCP VERSION request and determined you were using mirc for your irc client applcation.

This is obviously what happened because the message you got was as follows:

"You are banned from Outsiderz (Your client has replied with a VERSION reply that constitues a forbidden client. Please only use a real IRC client."

This has nothing to do you with your ISP.

Last edited by ChannelOp; 15/12/04 11:52 PM.
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
M....sorry , you are wrong. I tried mIRC 6.02 and 6.16 with the same result. In addition I tried xChat, with the same result. I have had my ip for over a year with no issues. Which does not matter becuase it is a version baised ban, not ip.

mIRC is not a real client? When did this happen?

So our problem is not related to our client. I know for a fact that mIRC and xchat are allowed on my chosen channel because I have talked to several of the ops and the creator.

So the problem is something else. Any ideas?

*edit* Mentality, I am talking to the ops, attempting to figure out what it is. I just figured since you folks at mIRC scripts help ppl write such kick/ban scripts you might have a clue regarding what can go wrong with them. Seems I was wrong.

Last edited by tkal; 16/12/04 01:23 AM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well the kick message says you were banned because of your clients version reply, so i'm guessing that's why you were banned.

A lot of things can go wrong with any script, but nobody can help you fix it unless they see the code, so to help them find out why you are being banned we would need to see the code they're using to ban people.

New username: hixxy
C
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
C
Quote:
M....sorry , you are wrong. I tried mIRC 6.02 and 6.16 with the same result. In addition I tried xChat, with the same result. I have had my ip for over a year with no issues. Which does not matter becuase it is a version baised ban, not ip.

I never said it was an IP based ban. It is clearly a ban that has been put into place because you are using an irc client which the channel does not allow.

This is shown by the error message that you are given.

Quote:
mIRC is not a real client? When did this happen?

Quote:
So our problem is not related to our client. I know for a fact that mIRC and xchat are allowed on my chosen channel because I have talked to several of the ops and the creator.

The error message is telling you that you are banned because of your irc client application. Like it or not, those are the facts, and they are indicated as such from the error message you are given from the channel.

Quote:
So the problem is something else. Any ideas?

Yes. Change IP addresses and connect with a different irc chat application, if you can connect with it, then disconnect and reconnect with your mirc application and see what happens.

Link Copied to Clipboard