mIRC can use the Windows certificate store if I'm not mistaken. mIRC also has configuration options to specify a private key file, a certificate chain file and a trusted authorities file. This also works with self-signed certificates for which you will get a prompt to either accept or reject the connection, just as it does now when connecting to IRC servers over SSL, and even as "/sockopen -e" does.

I think it is safe to require a certificate be set when the mIRC user itself is the hosting party and return an error when attempting to do so without one set. I think this should work with KVIrc, Eggdrop and possibly other clients that already implement SCHAT.

I was hoping to see more support for this request and not have it become another impasse by simply doing nothing instead...

Edit: I'm curious though, since you say "already crowded field", how many *native* (thus no scripted) SSL DCC implementations do you know about? I only know of one, maybe 2 (if they even differ). Eggdrop's and KVIrc's.

Last edited by BenderUnit; 23/02/16 11:47 AM.