So I'm having a heck of a time here. Some of my buddies in IRC informed me that for the longest time, they've been getting all kinds of crap on their screens when I use any sort of character. Having quite frequently seen pitfalls of character encoding in web stuff, I naturally understand that it probably has something to do with the UTF character stuff. I went into the options and turned off "UTF-8 encode/decode message" in the options which did actually help...except for basically apostrophe/single quotes and double quotes. Oddly enough the accent mark works as well. Nothing I do seems to fix it. I spent a good 30 minutes searching this forum and on Google and I can't seem to find anything about it. I see a few topics on people trying to join channels with weird names and stuff but that's about it. My friend are using older versions of mIRC and can't be bothered to upgrade, but I'm curious WHY this is happening. Does anyone have any idea? Why would everything else get fixed while the apostrophes and quotes are still broken? It's mind boggling.

Here is an example of the stuff working and not working after the change (screenshot from my friend):
http://metalgearonline.multiservers.com/lolweb2.jpg

Is there any way to fix that or is it basically screwed now on the newer versions?