Originally Posted By: KHobbits
I agree that the way the timer executes things can cause problems, but this is more to do with the behaviour of "#$alias" which shouldn't be evaluated in this manner if passed in this way.

I pointed this out before, but to reiterate: #$identifier is always evaluated-- this is part of mIRC's syntax-- it is not a bug, it is not going to change. It has quirky edge cases but it is not a quirk.

Note again (as I just wrote in my previous reply) that this is not only a problem for "#$identifier".. it's also a problem for just having "$identifier" anywhere in user data. The script provided by the OP happened to be targeted to a specific scenario, but the same issue can occur for any user data. If his lol alias did "msg lol $1" instead of "msg $1 lol" and he passed in some dollar amount ($20.00), he would get the same thing. Try it:

Code:
//timer 1 1 echo -a $$?="How much money?"

Enter $20.00 in the box.

You can just as easily enter #$mychannel. They will both evaluate. This shows that the issue is not specific to #$identifier, it is a /timer issue-- and not a bug but a "feature".

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"