With all version before 6.3 all of the files by default were in /Program Files/mIRC/ or where the user installed mIRC. For me that was perfect.

With a fresh install of 6.3 they are stored in /Documents and Settings/Account_Name/Application Data/mIRC/
2 problems with this.
1. They are buried too damn deep to get it
2. By default the /Application Data/ folder is hidden and most the average users doesn't know this or even how to make the files show...hell most are still running Windows with extensions hidden.

Now I see the point of moving the files like this. If a PC has more than one account on it then the one user, then each user can use mIRC with one affecting the other's scripts and settings.

The suggestion here: have the files stored in /My Documents/mIRC/ this is a location everyone knows and each user can get to and if set up correctly one account cannot access to someone elses /My Documents/ folder much less what's inside.

There does come another problem though and this is not one I've tested, and that I just thought of while writing this.
I like to have 2 completely separate copies of mIRC; one I use all of the time and one I like to use to test script with to see how they react to users without having to as someone in the channel to be the guinea pig.
See the problem?

Another suggestion would be during the install to give the users the choice; install the classic method or the new 'bury it deep in your account where you cannot find it unless you know more than how to turn a PC on/off' method.

Last edited by Wolf68k; 23/09/07 12:14 AM.