Print Thread
#272568 10/04/24 11:38 PM
D
dohboy Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
I sometimes use mIRC for downloading files. Does anyone know if there happens to be a hard coded DCC file transfer speed of around 40MB/s and if so is there is a way to remove the limit? Even though my internet speed is much faster than that (1.5Gbps), I can only reach just under 40MB/s maximum speed per file but can reach over 100MB/s with multiple files or with an individual file transfer using a different IRC client, but I would prefer using mIRC.

dohboy #272573 13/04/24 12:31 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is a limit, however it is not related to a specific transfer rate. This is due to mIRC being a single-threaded application, which means that if DCC Send was allowed to run at full-speed, it would block the user interface. There are several windows message-based features in mIRC that can do this, so mIRC uses various methods to minimize it. This has, of course, been discussed before :-) Looking through versions.txt, I'm amazed to see that DCC Send/Get was added in 1995, when modem speeds were around 28.8kbps, and went through various implementation changes after that. The first discussion of the internal limit probably came up around the time that someone managed to get a super-fast internet connection many years later. The topic then comes up again periodically when someone tries to transfer a large file. Is it important? I have no idea. My network speed, on a very good day, is around 5MB/s. Should I redesign the entire DCC Send/Get implementation to use threads? Maybe. I usually add features or make changes if I think it will be a fun/interesting challenge. At some point, it may pique my interest :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard