Print Thread
#269201 13/07/21 02:08 PM
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Recently the tab character has been extented to be displayable inside a window, before the tab character would just not be displayed visually speaking.
This is problematic for debugging scripts, but even for normal display of line, scripters are used to /echo unknown/dynamic string to see what it contains and the new display of tab does not help at all (though there are other characters which still won't display, mostly non printable character such as carriage return or linefeed).
/drawtext $wrap $width and $height all have an option to handle the processing of tab characters, /echo and others displaying functions (/filter etc) should also get an option to handle them.
The way tabs are displayed currently feels wrong anyway, the tab does not expand according to the text and act like a tabstop :
Code
//echo -a $str(Z,N) $+ $chr(9) $+ Z
As N gets bigger, the display will end up not displaying the tab at all, selecting texts shows there's no gap, I'm not sure if this was intended or if it's a bug.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Tabs expand to predefined tabstops, and are not just "extra wide spaces". This is so they forum justified columns of data like a spreadsheet.

There are a number of control characters, tab included, that print differently in different windows and commands. Debug is another example of this. Though I'm all for additional control over these visualizations, I also accept that Khaled has to strike a simple balance one way or another that most people will find agreeable, even at the expense of us rare nerds.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Sure, but even in custom windows with -t tabstop, you have -M to chop at tabstop, which probably is the most wanted behavior in 2021, so as far as displaying ability is concerned that should be available for display in channel windows etc if tab are meant to be displayed. But I'd like to be able to get a tab displayed which does not alter the behavior of the rest of the display, $+(ZZZZZZZZZZ,$chr(9),ZZZZZZZZZZ) would display "ZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ", not "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ".
In fact, as with most new features or change, it should probably keep the old behavior and command should get new switch addition, but I understand that's a lot of function, with some functions already have a lot of switch (/filter, /play, /echo..) where finding a letter that's not used in any wouldn't be fun, but using non letter as a switch is not new.
Having tabs getting displayed rather than not displayed whatsoever, I'm all for it, but the current behavior is too much of a change, extending tab to be displayed doesn't mean tabstop, /drawtext was enhanced that way and doesn't deal with any tabstop stuff, I'd like to get the drawtext behavior in channel window.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard