mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
I usually use "Verdana" font in mIRC, which is set to resort to "MS PGothic" and then to "Arial Unicode MS" when the characters are not present. These settings are part of the standard font linking provided by Windows 7. But, whenever I encounter certain characters, for instance, this one: [〜] ('WAVE DASH', U+301C), mIRC would change all the characters that are not found in Verdana to those from Arial Unicode MS. It makes this change irreversible, Arial Unicode MS overtakes MS PGothic in all channels at once, it can't be cured by /clear or by closing any inner windows. Verdana's characters stay as they were. If I change the font to Tahoma/etc, it doesn't help. The only way to fix fonts is restarting mIRC. Since Arial Unicode MS is the least readable font out there, especially for Asian characters, this is very very annoying.

Since font linking settings do affect fonts in mIRC--changing "MS Pgothic" to "Meiryo" in the OS font linking settings does change it in mIRC until [〜] is encountered--I suspect that mIRC is trying to do some font linking on its own. Maybe it is possible to disable this behavior altogether and let the OS decide what to display?

mIRC 7.22

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
AFAIK, mIRC's font linking is entirely done by itself. If you don't like that specific font, the easiest fix is to uninstall it and then mIRC can't link to that font. mIRC's displays are not your typical windows where you type and the font appears. You can see this simply by trying to highlight text... it doesn't work like other apps. I'm sure that relates to why mIRC does its own font linking. I doubt that is going to change any time soon, though that's just my guess.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
As I've pointed out, mIRC does use Windows' font linking too--you can check that yourself easily, just tweak the OS settings--so I'd be fine if simply could "untick" mIRC's linking. I guess.

Besides, the real problem is that one character can get mIRC all screwed. I'd expect mIRC to get from elsewhere only the characters it doesn't have, not start using a whole new font altogether until the application is closed...

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I hardly see "uninstall the font" as a "fix". If anything, it's a really poor workaround, and in some cases, not even that, especially when many of the fonts in question are system fonts like Arial Unicode MS (yes, I'm aware that the Unicode variant is specific to Office, but nevertheless, it is an important font on most systems).

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Not sure if i am getting what you are saying, but, either way, Arial Unicode MS is a must-have on Windows. I can't delete it at all since it's always in use.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
If your comment was directed at me, NineTails, I effectively said what you just did.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard