mIRC Homepage
Posted By: sparr connect retry uses wrong server group - 11/09/03 11:25 PM
sometimes when I cant connect to irc.trifocus.net mirc retries on irc.dal.net, which is wrong. sometimes it retries irc.trifocus.net properly though. i havent been able to find a pattern. irc.trifocus.net is not in my servers.ini so it definitely isnt in the same group as:
n0=Random US DALnet serverSERVER:irc.dal.net:6660-6667GROUP:01
although perhaps unknown servers are somehow accidentally considered to be in group 01 sometimes?
Posted By: Raccoon Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 12:23 AM
It appears that server uses the same IRC codebase as DALnet.

It also appears to be a small/ newish server that may still be undergoing configuration changes. If left with the default configurations, the server will report as being a part of the DALnet network. Presently, the server seems to be configured with it's own unique network name, and you shouldn't have this problem again.

- Raccoon
Posted By: sparr Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 12:31 AM
The server is small, but not even remotely new. It has been properly configured for years and I have had this problem intermittently, with the last occurence just a few minutes before posting this bug. Also, even for networks that do report a wrong or conflicting NETWORK= value in RAW 005 I have never seen this behavior, despite many pointing to valid existing networks.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 12:56 AM
See if you can reproduce this bug. Also take note of the 001 reply, this is usually where $network gets its information from.

Welcome to the XYZZY Internet Relay Chat Network Raccoon

If the 4th parameter != "Internet", then it populates $network with $4
Otherwise mIRC tries to determine the network by other means. Since your server looks, smells and tastes like DALnet in all other respects, I can see how mIRC would become confused if it missed this information.

- Raccoon
Posted By: sparr Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 01:01 AM
That is a very interesting piece of information, everywhere I have ever looked it has said that it takes it from 005 first, then from the server group, and this is the behavious I have noticed myself as well. I will endeavor to pay more attention to this point in the future, and am at this moment writing CONNECT remote to point out the 3 possible values to me and tell me which are accurate.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 01:22 AM
dont forget the RAW prefix.

RAW 001:*: { }
RAW 005:*: { }
Posted By: Bilge Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 03:30 AM
This network is actually missing the NETWORK 005 token. Perhaps that could be the source of the problem. $network still returns the correct name, but that doesn't mean that another part of mIRC isn't getting confused at some point due to this neglegence. Nobody knows how mIRC really works 'under the skin' wink
Posted By: cold Re: connect retry uses wrong server group - 12/09/03 11:13 AM
It happens here too. Sometimes, when I'm retrying to connect, mIRC tries to switch to irc.dal.net. For a long time ago, using many mIRC versions. No scripts loaded. No /server alias.
Here are the numeric replies 1-5 from BRASnet in my debug output:

<- :irc.brasnet.org 001 cold :Welcome to The BRASnet Internet Relay Chat Network cold
<- :irc.brasnet.org 002 cold :Your host is irc.brasnet.org, running version bras6.14.10q
<- NOTICE cold :*** Your host is irc.brasnet.org, running version bras6.14.10q
<- :irc.brasnet.org 003 cold :This server was created Mon Sep 8 2003 at 00:34:30 BRT
<- :irc.brasnet.org 004 cold irc.brasnet.org bras6.14.10q aAbBcdefhijkNoOprRsTvwyz aAbcdeikKlmnoOpqrRsStve
<- :irc.brasnet.org 005 cold WALLCHOPS KNOCK SAFELIST FNC CPRIVMSG CNOTICE WATCH=128 MODES=6 MAXBANS=60 MAXTARGETS=1 NICKLEN=30 TOPICLEN=300 KICKLEN=300 CHANNELLEN=32 CHANTYPES=#& CHANMODES=b,k,lf,ABiKmnOpqrRsSt SILENCE=10 CHARMAPPING= NETWORK=BRASnet MAXCHANNELS=10 PREFIX=(oav)@@+ :is supported on this server
© mIRC Discussion Forums