mIRC Homepage
Posted By: ryan510 "Ghost" mIRC boxes appear in Windows Taskbar - 05/09/21 05:12 AM
Easiest if you just see the pic. See mIRC, then see the two blue underlines next to it? those are the 2 ghost mIRCs. Ignore the fact I have facebook open in the back laugh
This pic is what it looks like when I right click the ghost to the immediate left of the main mirc window.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Two weird ghost mIRCs appear next to the main one in my Windows taskbar. I thought it might be related to multiple servers, but I disconnected from some until there was only one and they remained.

I can right click the ghost and choose "Close window" and it will destroy the ghost and have no effect on my channels or servers.

This is v7.66 on win 10 pro latest.
Thanks for your bug report. These are helper windows that mIRC is using for the Aero MDI theme. Technically, it should not be possible for them to be visible or to appear in the Windows taskbar.

Are they visible the moment you start mIRC? Or do they become visible after a while?

Are you running any scripts, addons, DLLs, etc.?

If you install a clean copy of mIRC, using the mIRC installer, with the "Portable" option enabled in the installer, into a new, empty folder in your Windows Documents folder, and run mIRC there, do you see the same issue?
Originally Posted by Khaled
Thanks for your bug report. These are helper windows that mIRC is using for the Aero MDI theme. Technically, it should not be possible for them to be visible or to appear in the Windows taskbar.

Are they visible the moment you start mIRC? Or do they become visible after a while?

They appear after awhile, not on startup.

Are you running any scripts, addons, DLLs, etc.?

No, it's a purely stock non-portable install.

If you install a clean copy of mIRC, using the mIRC installer, with the "Portable" option enabled in the installer, into a new, empty folder in your Windows Documents folder, and run mIRC there, do you see the same issue?

I'll give that a shot and report back.
I've seen this occasionally, no idea how to reproduce it.
I haven't been able to reproduce this yet but, as it has been reported a few times it, it may be a common issue. As far as I can tell, seeing these windows or their taskbar buttons should not be possible, unless Windows is doing something wrong or another application is changing them in some way. I am going to make a change to how they work that hopefully mitigates this. The change should be in the next beta.
It's happened twice to me. I don't remember how it happened. I don't use dlls. Just my remotes.
Posted By: T20 Re: "Ghost" mIRC boxes appear in Windows Taskbar - 16/09/21 10:09 PM
I have this problem too, found this thread after some googling. I'll add my information...

Using latest mIRC (v7.66). It started some months ago, I have never seen it before, now it is always there (but see below). Other than keeping mIRC updated and making tiny script changes I have changed nothing. I have run mIRC on this box for over 10 years. I started out as a Server 2008 but is nowadays a Server 2019 (the last major OS update was long long before this issue appeared).

There are always two extra "window buttons" in the task bar, no more and no less.
They do not appear immediately on program start or when joining servers/channels, but after a few hours they are there. I have never noticed them appearing just when I am doing something on the server, they just turn up when I'm not looking.

I have not found any way to get rid of them, other than quitting mIRC. I would LOVE to know how to remove them. If I right-click on them and choose "close window", the whole application closes. If I can help in any way, I would be happy to do so.
Posted By: T20 Re: "Ghost" mIRC boxes appear in Windows Taskbar - 16/09/21 10:16 PM
Would edit my earlier post, but I can't see it yet.
Sorry, I misremembered about closing the "ghost" windows quitting the main application. I tried this again now because of the other post indicating otherwise, and it only closed the respective ghost. Now I can at least get rid of them when I see them. smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums