mIRC Homepage

Accented characters

Posted By: TECO

Accented characters - 09/10/20 08:13 PM

In the latest beta version 7.63.956 when we are typing accented words, mIRC fails to accent words. I still thought it was a problem with the keyboard but I tested it in Microsoft Word and it works fine without fail, but in clean mIRC without scripts, mIRC fails to accent.

I leave an image with the example.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: maroon

Re: Accented characters - 09/10/20 08:17 PM

I don't understand what this is supposed to show. Do you mean that pressing the same key - sometimes it uses the accented character and other times the same keypress gives the normal 'e'?
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 09/10/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by maroon
I don't understand what this is supposed to show. Do you mean that pressing the same key - sometimes it uses the accented character and other times the same keypress gives the normal 'e'?

Yes that's right. When I press to accent it displays the normal "e" without an accent.
Posted By: Loki12583

Re: Accented characters - 09/10/20 09:35 PM

What happens in notepad? Word is completely different
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 09/10/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Loki12583
What happens in notepad? Word is completely different


Tested on notepad:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have you tried to download the available Beta version and try it out? You soon realized the problem!
Posted By: Epic

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 01:38 AM

Please tell me what code number you use for the symbol?

To find out, enter the command, where in brackets will be your symbol (letter):
Code
//echo -s $asc(é)
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 07:35 AM

Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this yet. Here are the steps I am following:

1) Run mIRC
2) In the status Windows, press the AltGr key (the right Alt key), and then press the letter "e".

If I hold down the letter "e", it generates an accented "é" repeatedly.
If I let go of the letter "e", and then press it again, it generates an "é" again.
If I let go of both the letter "e" and the AltGr key, and then press them again, it generates an "é".

Which language Windows/keyboard are you using?

If you restart your computer, does the problem go away?
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Khaled
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this yet. Here are the steps I am following:

1) Run mIRC
2) In the status Windows, press the AltGr key (the right Alt key), and then press the letter "e".

If I hold down the letter "e", it generates an accented "é" repeatedly.
If I let go of the letter "e", and then press it again, it generates an "é" again.
If I let go of both the letter "e" and the AltGr key, and then press them again, it generates an "é".

Which language Windows/keyboard are you using?

If you restart your computer, does the problem go away?

That is not how I accentuate words, nor is it repeatedly that I intend. I press the accent key and the "e" key simultaneously, several times, however in the mIRC editbox it doesn't always accentuate the words. The same happens with the accent "~" in the letter "a".

The language for Windows 10 Pro 2004 (19041.546) is English. The keyboard is a Razer Huntsman PT Black.

This only happens in mIRC and Windows or any other program does not appear.

I detected this problem, because when I am writing text, I noticed that when I accentuated certain words the accent was not on the letters and when I went to test on the mIRC letter by letter I realized that the mIRC sometimes fails to accentuate the letters.
Posted By: BhaaL

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 10:24 AM

Isn't accentuation a sticky key? Like, hit the accent first, and then the key to accentuate? For example I hit ´ followed by e to produce é (or ´ (space) e to not accentuate when i want the accent as ´e instead).
Pressing them at the same time feels like it would fail depending on your (or your keyboards, or your OS') timing (and I actually just tried this here: éééeéééééé´´eééééééééééééé´´eée´- most of the time it works, but often I get it backwards or not at all)
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 11:29 AM

Quote
I press the accent key and the "e" key simultaneously, several times, however in the mIRC editbox it doesn't always accentuate the words. The same happens with the accent "~" in the letter "a".

When you say you press the accent key, which key is that? Is it a combination of keys?

Quote
The language for Windows 10 Pro 2004 (19041.546) is English. The keyboard is a Razer Huntsman PT Black.

I was not able to find a "Razer Huntsman PT Black" online. I was able to find a "Razer Huntsman Black". Does PT mean its Portuguese?

Is your keyboard set to use the Portuguese language?
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Khaled
When you say you press the accent key, which key is that? Is it a combination of keys?


[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Quote
I was not able to find a "Razer Huntsman PT Black" online. I was able to find a "Razer Huntsman Black". Does PT mean its Portuguese?

Yes, PT means Portuguese (Portugal)

Quote
Is your keyboard set to use the Portuguese language?

Yes. Portuguese (Portugal)
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 12:44 PM

I went to test the beta version 7.63.416 and in this beta version it worked without accentuation problems.

The following beta versions are no longer backed up here.

Here I show a short video of how I can reproduce the accentuation problem. First I press the accent key and then the "E" key ... This repeatedly and this is where mIRC fails a few times.
Vídeo: Test

Test result:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Wims

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 01:04 PM

I use a french azerty keyboard, so the letter é has its own key. However the keyboard has plenty of 'dead' key to do accent, from ~ (which requires alt + control or altgr to do) + letter or ^/¨ (which has its own key with both ¨ and ^) + letter or ` (requires alt + control or altgr) + letter.

Everything is working fine for me on win7 pro 64 bits,
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 08:50 PM

Quote
Isn't accentuation a sticky key? Like, hit the accent first, and then the key to accentuate? For example I hit ´ followed by e to produce é (or ´ (space) e to not accentuate when i want the accent as ´e instead).
Pressing them at the same time feels like it would fail depending on your (or your keyboards, or your OS') timing (and I actually just tried this here: éééeéééééé´´eééééééééééééé´´eée´- most of the time it works, but often I get it backwards or not at all)

That's how it works here. If I hit the keys simultaneously, it is pretty much random whether I get an accented or non-accented letter whether in Word, notepad, mIRC, etc.
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 08:57 PM

Quote
Here I show a short video of how I can reproduce the accentuation problem. First I press the accent key and then the "E" key ... This repeatedly and this is where mIRC fails a few times.

I installed a portuguese keyboard layout to test this out and it is working fine for me here on Windows 10 in the latest beta.

I press the sticky accent key first, let go of the key, and then I press the letter e. It never fails to produce an accented letter. If I press the keys simultaneously, it is pretty much random whether an accented or non-accented key appears, but this applies to all the applications I have tried.

If you restart your computer and test again, is the issue still present? I mention this because quite a few people have had issues with the AltGr Key in Windows 10.
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 10/10/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Khaled
I installed a portuguese keyboard layout to test this out and it is working fine for me here on Windows 10 in the latest beta.

I press the sticky accent key first and then I press the letter e. It never fails to produce an accented letter. If I press the keys simultaneously, it is pretty much random whether an accented or non-accented key appears, but this applies to all the applications I have tried.

If you restart your computer and test again, is the issue still present? I mention this because quite a few people have had issues with the AltGr Key in Windows 10.

Well I write very fast and I just noticed this problem, in this latest beta version 7.63.956 because words like "não = no" or "possível = possible" the accents failed and I went back to erase and put it again, and then that was when I went to test to repeat the key sequence quickly (accent key followed by the letter key) several times to see if something was wrong, that's when I noticed that in mIRC I didn't always put the accent in the letters "é", "í "or" ã "and then I went to test in the notepad, in Microsoft Word, Corel Draw, Photoshop and noticed that only in mIRC did the accents fail.

So as I say, you can only notice this flaw that is repeated several times in the sequence (accent key followed by the letter key), because if it is slow, it works well, but for those who write fast, sometimes it fails. But as I say, I am only noticing this small flaw in the last beta.

In beta version 7.63.416 I tested it and I don't notice any accentuation failure even though repeating the sequence quickly.

I already restarted the PC and everything remains the same, it did not solve the problem.
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 08:26 AM

Quote
In beta version 7.63.416 I tested it and I don't notice any accentuation failure even though repeating the sequence quickly.

As this issue appears for you in the latest beta, the most likely reason is the change to allowing on KEYDOWN in all windows.

Can you try this in beta 7.63.416:

1. Create a custom @window with an editbox: /window -e @test
2. Type your accented key in the @test window. Do you see the issue?
3. Now type your accented key in the status window. Do you see the issue?
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Khaled
As this issue appears for you in the latest beta, the most likely reason is the change to allowing on KEYDOWN in all windows.

Can you try this in beta 7.63.416:

1. Create a custom @window with an editbox: /window -e @test
2. Type your accented key in the @test window. Do you see the issue?
3. Now type your accented key in the status window. Do you see the issue?

In the custom window the accentuation failed in the first letter that I added accentuation. Then I went to the status window and the accent did not fail.
This test I did in the last beta version.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 03:22 PM

Quote
In the custom window the accentuation failed in the first letter that I added accentuation. Then I went to the status window and the accent did not fail.
This test I did in the last beta version.

When you say "it failed in the first letter":

Do you mean that you tried to type -quickly- and it failed?

If you type -slowly-, pressing the sticky key first, and then the letter, does it work in the custom @window?

So far, it sounds like the issue is due entirely to the speed that you press the keys?
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Khaled
[quote]When you say "it failed in the first letter":

Do you mean that you tried to type -quickly- and it failed?

If you type -slowly-, pressing the sticky key first, and then the letter, does it work in the custom @window?

So far, it sounds like the issue is due entirely to the speed that you press the keys?

No, I typed slowly in both the custom window and the Status window.

As I said, it was only in this latest beta that I detected this problem. I have tested it in several ways, quickly or slowly, accentuation failures happen. Both in Status, Channels and Queries.
Posted By: Epic

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 04:45 PM

I tried to recreate speed typing of this character using a script because I don't have one on my keyboard:

Code
alias test {
  if (!$window(@test)) .window -Cde2 @test 0 0 700 500
  .editbox @test $+($editbox(@test),$chr(233))
  if ($len($editbox(@test)) > 250) { echo @test $editbox(@test) | halt }
  .timerTEST -m 1 1 test
}

But the problem could not be identified, all letters are displayed as they should. And in general, I don't find any problems with typing letters in the beta version.
It looks like to recreate this problem, I need a Portuguese keyboard model similar to yours, if it is keyboard related of course, or more like some kind of glitch due to typing speed on such a keyboard model.

Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 11/10/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Epic
I tried to recreate the speed dial of this simbol through a script:

Code
alias test {
  if (!$window(@test)) .window -Cde2 @test 0 0 700 500
  .editbox -f @test $+($editbox(@test),$chr(233))
  if ($len($editbox(@test)) > 250) { echo @test $editbox(@test) | halt }
  .timerTEST -m 1 1 test
}

But the problem could not be identified, all letters are displayed as they should.
It looks like to recreate this problem, I need a Portuguese keyboard model similar to yours, if it is keyboard related of course, or more like some kind of glitch due to typing speed on such a keyboard model.


If the problem was with the keyboard, then this flaw would also be identified in beta version 7.63.416. The problem is in the last beta version of the internal changes that were made and that only programmers know what they are.
If there was a problem with the keyboard then on Windows 10 Notepad, Firefox and Microsoft Word, it would also detect the same flaw and I only detected that flaw in mIRC 7.63.956
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 13/10/20 10:50 AM

Quote
If the problem was with the keyboard, then this flaw would also be identified in beta version 7.63.416.

Thanks for the feedback.

So we've established that you are seeing this issue in custom @windows in v7.63 as well. The reason it affects non-custom windows in the latest beta is that the on KEYDOWN/UP/CHAR events were enabled for all windows.

It is very likely due to the way ToUnicode() handles dead keys. However, it is odd that I, and other users, have not been able to reproduce the issue. I am also using Windows 10 Pro, English, and have tested with different keyboard languages/layouts.

And as you are not seeing the issue in other applications, it is not likely to be a keyboard driver issue. That said, if you happen to have another keyboard lying around... does it behave the same way?

I will be making a change to the way ToUnicode() is called that prevents it from affecting keyboard states, an option that Microsoft added to ToUnicode() in Windows 10 1607.

Let's see how that works out in the next beta.
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 13/10/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Khaled
And as you are not seeing the issue in other applications, it is not likely to be a keyboard driver issue. That said, if you happen to have another keyboard lying around... does it behave the same way?

I'll try to get another keyboard to see if the problem persists.
Posted By: TECO

Re: Accented characters - 13/10/20 04:56 PM

I managed to get another keyboard and the problem remains the same.
Posted By: Khaled

Re: Accented characters - 17/10/20 10:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the beta I sent you.

It looks like the only solution to this is to use the new ToUnicode() flag that works on WIndows 10 build 1607 and onwards.

The issue is due to the way ToUnicode() affects the keyboard state when dead characters are processed and has been present in all previous versions of WIndows. Microsoft finally resolved the issue by adding the flag in Windows 10 build 1607.

mIRC uses ToUnicode() in the on KEYDOWN event to determine the character (as opposed to the key press) that will be generated, so that it is available in the event. Unfortunately, there is no way to resolve the ToUnicode() issue in this context. There are many posts on stackoverflow and in Microsoft blogs that suggest solutions but none of them actually work in all keyboard layout/language/device contexts. The only solution is the flag in Windows 10 build 1607. This will be enabled in the next beta.

The usage share of pre-Windows 10 versions of Windows is around 25%, so this would affect quite a few users. Because of this, I will also be reverting the change in the last beta that enabled on KEYDOWN/KEYUP/CHAR in all windows. It will be once again limited to custom @windows.
© 2020 mIRC Discussion Forums