mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Wims Connecting not trying different port - 14/06/19 01:27 PM
In the server list, I have Freenode > Random server > edit > server is irc.freenode.net, port is 6666-6667.

In alt o > Connect > option > retry, I have 'try next server in group' unchecked.

/server irc.freenode.net can lead to mIRC trying to connect on port 6666 for what seems forever.

Quote:
[14:54:47] * Connecting to irc.freenode.net (6666)
[14:55:08] * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
[14:55:11] * Connect retry #1 irc.freenode.net (6666) (dns pool)
[14:55:32] * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

And the above can go on forever

Is it normal for mIRC not to cycle between the two ports in this case, when one fails? Is it not cycling because it's not 'trying another server in group"?

Of course in this case I could just remove 6666, which is what I did for the meantimes, but the current implementation seems to be buggy.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: Connecting not trying different port - 14/06/19 09:57 PM
Yeah, it does seem like it should automatically try a different [random] port when a range/multiple-ports are supplied. The idea of port ranges is/was supposed to load balance users and to keep people/firewalls/ISPs guessing if some ports are blocked.

Would not expect mIRC to get hung up on a singular port, or attempt the first port necessarily in a portA-portZ range.
Posted By: Wims Re: Connecting not trying different port - 14/06/19 10:37 PM
I checked and mIRC sometimes does try the 6667 port in my case, but I've seen it trying 6666 99 times consecutively, bad luck? confused
Posted By: Raccoon Re: Connecting not trying different port - 14/06/19 10:58 PM
On start first-time connect? Or disconnected reconnect?
Posted By: Khaled Re: Connecting not trying different port - 21/06/19 08:41 AM
Thanks this issue has been fixed for the next version.
Posted By: Wims Re: Connecting not trying different port - 21/06/19 01:16 PM
Hello,

Note that while wanting to test this, I reboot mIRC and the beta expired (v7.55.2030). I was going to get the new beta but instead i downloaded 7.55, and 'upgraded' the mirc.exe.
After that, I ran mirc.exe and it crashed right at startup, i did not screenshot or check the error, I reran it and have been running it since then without any problem.
© mIRC Discussion Forums