mIRC Homepage
Posted By: nightwalker Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 01/06/19 01:34 PM
Hello,
I switched to Windows 10 from Windows 7 last month, and one of the issues I have been noticing is that when mIRC is minimized to the tray, it seems to disappear. This usually happens overnight, when the computer is idle. When I return, the icon is missing. However, when I view the Task Manager, It shows it is still running. So, I end up having to kill the process and then restart it.

Today, I downloaded the latest mIRC beta and will update you in a few days if that version also suffers from this as well.

Version: mIRC v7.55, Windows 10

Thank you,
Posted By: Loki12583 Re: Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 01/06/19 04:12 PM
This has been happening to me for a very long time. Usually I notice it after returning from a remote desktop session. Does your computer lock itself when idle?
Hi Loki,

Yes, both are True. The computer does lock itself, and I also use Remote Desktop during the week.

Thanks
Posted By: Khaled Re: Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 02/06/19 05:48 AM
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue so far. What are your settings in the Tray dialog in mIRC?

In Windows 10, tray icons are now considered notification icons, so they are treated differently than they were in previous versions of Windows. It is possible that Windows 10 may be hiding inactive icons automatically. Have you checked your tray icon notification settings in Windows 10? Right-click on an empty space on the Windows taskbar, select "TaskBar Settings", scroll down to "Notification Area", and customize settings.
Posted By: Protopia Re: Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 02/06/19 07:55 AM
I have been running mIRC on Win 10 for some years - and I have not experienced any issues with this.

My mIRC tray settings are:

Always show mIRC icon in Tray - checked
On startup minimise to tray - not checked
Place mIRC in tray when minimised - checked
Animate icon when there is activity - checked
Single click on tray to open - not checked
Tray icon - default

My "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" Windows notification settings for mIRC is on.
Hi Khaled,
I was unaware that Windows 10 would hide inactive icons.

Disabled - Always show all icons in the notification area

I enabled the mIRC icon, so it would display in the active notification area.

All options are checked in mIRC tray options
Check - Always show mirc icon
Check - On startup minimize mirc
Check - Place mirc in the tray when minimized
Check - Animate Icon
Check - Single click

Running the beta version, I haven't noticed any issues yet. I will report back later in the week after using Remote Desktop to see if that causes any additional symptoms.

Thank you,
Hello,
I was able to login to Remote Desktop yesterday and the Icon was visible in the active notification using 7.55.2030 Beta. For testing, I switched back to the stable version, also using the active notification. Will report back in a few days to see if I can repeat the behavior.

Thank you,

Hello,
Over the past few weeks, the tray icon hasn't disappeared, until last week. I normally connect using a bouncer, and EFnet kept on dropping, causing the tray icon to flash. This happened a few times last week, and then the tray icon disappeared when I was using Remote Desktop, and then returning to my home desktop. So, this bug seems to happen, only when the icon is flashing in the tray, and the alert isn't cleared.

Thank you,
Posted By: Khaled Re: Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 01/07/19 09:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have released a new beta that makes some changes to the way the tray icon is displayed/flashed. Please let me know how that works out for you.
Hi Khaled,
I have downloaded the current beta and installed it. I will provide feedback in a few weeks, after continued use, or if I see this issue again.

Thank you,
Hello,
I ran the beta for about a week and I didn't see any issues and then upgraded to 7.56. I am not noticing any issues with 7.56. It seems that this issue has been resolved. Thank you.
Posted By: Khaled Re: Disappearing tray Icon when minimized - 17/07/19 03:48 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
© mIRC Discussion Forums