mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Wims /speak speaks with sounds off - 04/11/15 01:49 PM
I think /speak should not work if sound are disabled in mIRC, it currently does work.
Posted By: argv0 Re: /speak speaks with sounds off - 05/11/15 08:50 PM
Since /splay also does not work with sounds off, I would mostly agree with this.

That said, the argument could be made that the usage of /speak has a slightly different purpose than typical sounds, since it is partially intended for accessibility concerns. Under that argument, /speak isn't really an aesthetic sound so much as it is an integral part of the experience, for some users. If this is the case, then it was probably left on intentionally, but I'm not sure.
Posted By: Wims Re: /speak speaks with sounds off - 05/11/15 09:40 PM
Yeah, I'm unsure as well. I reported it mostly because of the /splay behavior, as you mentioned, but I actually have sounds off in mIRC and I'd be annoyed by a script using /speak without checking $ebeeps, (and maybe that scripter is not to blame for not checking it, if he assumed it would not work with sounds off, a reasonable assumption). If I can look at the script knowing what it does and refuse to use it because it has /speak with no check on $ebeeps, (or I decide to fix that), the less aware scripters/users won't know and might be annoyed, that's why I'd say it should not work if sounds are disabled, but if it was meant that way, I'm fine with it
© mIRC Discussion Forums