mIRC Homepage
Posted By: CyberShadow Zero-width character - 08/10/14 02:08 PM
Is there a character (or a sequence of such) which will be really rendered as if it wasn't there by mIRC?

I'm maintaining a bot which is announcing GitHub / Bugzilla / etc. activity, and I'm trying to avoid highlighting people in the channel. (It's annoying to be highlighted every time you file a new bug etc.)

To accomplish this, I've tried inserting a zero-width Unicode character in the middle of each word. I've already tried a few variations of the Unicode zero-width space, as well as some Unicode meta-characters such as the ones which change RTL directions. However, all of these still show up in mIRC as a narrow space, messing with the kerning and making the line look weird.

I've also tried to insert formatting (color/bold/etc.) characters, but these do not break highlighting in mIRC.
Posted By: Wims Re: Zero-width character - 08/10/14 02:15 PM
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/200B/index.htm

Code point 8203, $chr(8203)

I didn't finish reading your post, I see you already tried that, why doesn't that work for you, because it works for me on mIRC 7.36, using the font verdana.
Posted By: CyberShadow Re: Zero-width character - 08/10/14 02:29 PM
Here's how it looks for me with Verdana 8 (without and with the ZWS):

The difference is subtle, but it's distracting when every word has this small break in the middle.

Other channel members have complained about this as well, so it's not just me...
Posted By: Wims Re: Zero-width character - 08/10/14 02:34 PM
Oh ok, I get that subtle difference as well.

Would a $chr(9) work for you?
Posted By: Khaled Re: Zero-width character - 29/10/14 02:16 PM
Thanks for your post. The display issue is due to the way mIRC adjusts character widths for kerning. The next version will check for zero width characters and will skip the kerning adjustment which will resolve the display issue you are seeing.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: Zero-width character - 22/12/14 12:40 AM
This issue still exists in v7.38. I have observed it while using Fixedsys and Fixedsys Excelsior fonts.

//echo -a $chr(29) $+ abc $+ $chr(3) $+ 4d $+ $chr(3) $+ 12e $+ $chr(3) $+ 7f $+ $chr(3) $+ 13g $+ $chr(3) $+ hij

Outputs:
abc d e f g hij
Posted By: Wims Re: Zero-width character - 22/12/14 12:41 AM
Confirmed here, using verdana, there is a small gap between the 'f' and the 'g'
Posted By: Khaled Re: Zero-width character - 22/12/14 10:28 AM
Thanks, this is an issue with the way italics support was implemented, it is not related to zero-width characters. The italics issue is on my to-do list.
Posted By: Khaled Re: Zero-width character - 22/12/14 10:29 AM
Are you referring to Racoon's post or to the original issue? I have not been able to reproduce the zero-width character issue as reported in the original bug report.
Posted By: Wims Re: Zero-width character - 22/12/14 10:32 AM
I am referring to Raccoon's post, he first reported that on IRC and I pointed out this thread, thinking it was related, I thought I would just share it wasn't just fixedsys that was affected, his example using verdana also shows a small gap between 'f' and 'g'
© mIRC Discussion Forums