mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Zabache error accessing file - 27/06/13 01:19 AM
mirc 7.19 unregistered :$

/writeini -n C:\IP.ini why why why

* /writeini: error accessing file 'C:\IP.ini'
-

Try it... How do i solve this? It does this for any location for a file named ip.ini. I cannot simply rename this file it is part of a vast collection of thousands of two letter files for machine parts id numbers, this file would hold ids starting in IP.

Posted By: Riamus2 Re: error accessing file - 27/06/13 01:37 AM
Certain keywords are not allowed as filenames in mIRC if I remember correctly, and IP is one of them. Change the name and you'll be fine. I don't think there is any way around that.
Posted By: TRT Re: error accessing file - 27/06/13 11:24 AM
Works for me in 7.32 and Windows 7 as long as mIRC has write privileges for the directory.
If the latter is not the case I get no error message though, only if the file is in use.
Posted By: Zabache Re: error accessing file - 28/06/13 12:57 AM
7.32 winXPro

/writeini -n C:\IP.ini This is an extremely tedious error

* /writeini: error accessing file 'C:\IP.ini'
-

Can anyone tell me why mirc would isolate ip.ini as being universally unwriteable anywhere? Still hoping for a solution.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: error accessing file - 28/06/13 01:13 AM
I should have tested first. Apparently mIRC does fine with IP. I thought it had a problem in the past, but I just don't remember. Anyhow, it writes fine on 6.35 and 7.32. Make sure you have permission to write.
Posted By: Wims Re: error accessing file - 28/06/13 02:09 AM
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why mirc would isolate ip.ini as being universally unwriteable anywhere?
This is not a bug, as stated, there are reserved filename, "ip" and such is a reserved filename on XP, not on 7.

edit: QueryDosDevice() is a low level function allowing you to list all the devices name used by the system (and therefore disallowed as filename).
You can use this little program which simply allow you to see them http://www.flounder.com/querydosdevice.htm
Posted By: Zabache Re: error accessing file - 28/06/13 07:59 AM
TY for the explanation Wims, it'll be a stretch but i'll get around it.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: error accessing file - 28/06/13 04:50 PM
Wims, thanks for the clarification on it being XP and not 7. That's the piece I wasn't remembering.

Zabache, depending on how you use the files, if they are just used internally and no one would try to browse through them manually, you can name it something like ip_.ini, but treat it like ip.ini internally. Or, if you want users to look for it manually, you could just put a space in there... "ip .ini". Unless they show extensions, they probably won't notice something like that. Just some ideas.
© mIRC Discussion Forums