mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Talon some notes about problems with mIRC under wine - 15/11/10 11:04 PM
I run debian linux and wine version 1.2, I've been playing around with mirc under wine and noticed if you use the icon of a window to bring up a menu and chose "Font..." nothing happens. You can't change fonts.

Also copying text is virtually impossible, I've attempted to copy text from a window and it darn near locked up my machine for quite some time.

$file().sig seems to always return ok rather than fail in instances where it should return fail.

These are just three complications I've noticed, I figured with some posts about wine fixes and what not maybe these are worth relaying but somehow I fear its going to be a wine related issue rather than a mIRC issue. I'll continue to post more complications I find as I stumble upon them.
Have you tried using /font to change the font instead? Like /font courier? Not a solution, but it might be a fair workaround until it gets resolved. I wasn't able to reproduce this on my wine, but it's not 1.2.

As for $file().sig, what instances should it fail? How many "instances" are there?
read your pm argv[0], the best example i got is one I wouldn't want to make public as to the nature of what it does.
Then I imagine that Wine just doesn't implement $file().sig properly. This is something you should take up with Wine implementors. AFAIK, $file().sig uses Windows file signatures, which is a relatively new addition, so mIRC might just be bypassing it anyway.
Testing under Ubuntu with Wine v1.2, I was not able to reproduce the Font dialog issue or the text copying issue. The font dialog works correctly when I select Font from the System menu by clicking the top left corner button in a window. The text copying is smooth and fast as well. As for the $file().sig issue, it looks like this is due to Wine not implementing support for the Windows file signature API and returning success for any call to the API.
Khaled beat me to it... (same answers as him)

Can I also recommend you take a look at the WineHQ entry for mIRC? It may assist you as obviously your installation is somewhat different than hours.

Specifically check the Winetricks additions.
JD
I've updated my installed packages with ubuntu's update manager and got an updated wine 1.2, which now I can get the font dialog.

As for the copy problem, it still exists, I pretty much lock up my PC if I attempt to copy any text from the static control.

What version of ubuntu? running gnome or kde? are you using compiz? I haven't tested disabling compiz to see if that fixes copying text in mirc, but i will post back when i test it out.

Im running ubuntu 10.05 (update manager says im up-to-date) running gnome 2.30.2 and I have compiz running.
© mIRC Discussion Forums