mIRC Homepage
Posted By: The_JD New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 11:19 AM
It seems that the new file menu that's hidden unless you press alt isn't working correctly.

It seems to work on KEYUP, and an alt-tab away from the app makes the menu show up then dissapear, when I'd guess that it shouldn't show the menu at all.
A simple check to see if mIRC is the active app when alt is UP, should fix it.

Sorry if this is intended behaviour (which I imagine it's not)

I should note that i'm using WINE and mIRC v7.02 (beta22).

To reproduce: Have mIRC maximized and another window shown but not maximized, alt tab away from mIRC.
It may not happen on Windows, as above I'm using WINE
Posted By: Khaled Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 12:09 PM
Thanks, I have added this to my list of Wine bugs that need to be catered for. A week or so ago I spent a whole day trying to debug a number of Wine issues and frustratingly made very little progress. So please be aware that I have no plans to work on any more Wine issues for the time being.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 12:14 PM
Also, WINE bugs should really be reported to them as they are the ones who really should fix the problem rather than mIRC having to create workarounds.
Posted By: The_JD Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 01:17 PM
Sorry, I wasn't sure that it was wine specific, hence why I included reproduction steps and the above info.

Cheers,
JD
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 01:25 PM
I should have read it closer and it seems Khaled should have as well. The new mIRC *is* set to use KEYUP for the hidden menu and it does cause the menu to appear when using Alt-TAB.
Posted By: Khaled Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 02:08 PM
I tried to reproduce it before I replied - it works fine here under Windows XP and Windows 7 :-) I wish it was as easy as reacting to a key up event - implementing this feature turned out to be far more complicated than that.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 07:41 PM
What I meant was that we both assumed it was a WINE issue, but it's not. What he is describing is how it works in 7.x - basically, nothing happens when you press ALT, but the menu appears after releasing ALT. Also, that if you ALT-TAB, it will bring up the menu even though it really shouldn't.

I'm not sure if this is the only way to make it work or if there's another reason it's this way, but what he described is how 7.x works even without WINE. I think we may see a lot of people who are hiding the menubar coming in here asking about that simply because it's an unusual way to have hidden menubars work.
Posted By: argv0 Re: New ALT file menu bug - 16/05/10 09:20 PM
It doesn't happen here in Windows 7 and it seems like a wine-only issue to me. Were you able to reproduce this?
Posted By: drum Re: New ALT file menu bug - 17/05/10 12:55 PM
Pressing alt+tab does not make the menubar reappear for me either, on fully patched Windows 7 x64.
Posted By: Khaled Re: New ALT file menu bug - 17/05/10 01:09 PM
mIRC checks for the ALT+Tab key combination and does not display the menubar here in that situation, under either Windows XP or Windows 7.

I just tested a debug version of mIRC under Wine. When you press the ALT key, mIRC detects the key press, as it should. However, the moment you press the Tab key, Wine captures that and all subsequent keypresses, even if you ALT+Tab back to mIRC and release the Tab key. All mIRC sees, at a keyboard hook level, is the ALT key being pressed and released.

So it does not look like there is a way for mIRC to work around this particular Wine issue.
Posted By: The_JD Re: New ALT file menu bug - 17/05/10 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Khaled
All mIRC sees, at a keyboard hook level, is the ALT key being pressed and released.

Wouldn't that leave the menu open :S

Either way, are you able to check if mIRC is the active app when the menu opens? lol

Oh, and just to verify:
I could not reproduce the issue on Windows 7 (x64) in a Virtual Machine. frown

Thanks anyway
JD
Posted By: Khaled Re: New ALT file menu bug - 17/05/10 10:04 PM
Yes, it leaves the menu open here :-) This issue is different to yours - I was only able to reproduce your issue once or twice and it required pressing the ALT+Tab key combination repeatedly and randomly many times. My guess is that both of the issues are related.

mIRC already checks to see if it is the active application when handling this feature.

Wine can vary from standard Windows behavior in some very subtle ways. In this case I performed low-level debugging to try to find a work around. mIRC was unable to detect the key presses, or any other events, that it needs to detect in order to make this feature work under Wine, so it does not look like there is a solution.
Posted By: The_JD Re: New ALT file menu bug - 18/05/10 02:21 PM
No problems, I understand, I'll report it on WineHQ.

Since you detect WINE now, Can you add a Linux/WINE message to $os?
-
See how I snuck a feature suggestion in the bug reports there? lol ;p
I'd say to add Ubuntu etc... but the list is too long!
Posted By: argv0 Re: New ALT file menu bug - 18/05/10 06:34 PM
The OS isn't Linux because you're using Wine. The OS can very well still be Windows if you were using Wine under cygwin; it's not a reliable check at all.
Posted By: The_JD Re: New ALT file menu bug - 19/05/10 02:52 AM
To use WINE under Windows would be pretty stupid.
Either way, I think adding "WINE" to $os would be appropriate.

Heh, Maybe I should add this to Feature Requests
© mIRC Discussion Forums