mIRC Homepage
Posted By: CompMan86 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 17/04/03 02:55 PM
I've always loved windows 2000, I could run it for over a month without a reboot easily while using it every day heavily. Then, all of a sudden, 3 days uptime was a lot to ask for. Usually around the 3rd day, programs would stop launching and windows would be drawn wrong. Menus would stop popping up. Basically anything which required memory wouldn't work unless I closed some other stuff to make room for it.

I dealt with it for months (I guess I was just too lazy to troubleshoot it) but finally I nailed it down. mIRC 6.x was to blame. It was the first thing I launched when I booted up and the last thing I closed before I shut down. Now I'm running 5.91 and I think things are back to normal. I will post back here if I find that I still have the problem, but so far it seems that mIRC 6.x was to blame. I really liked 6.x for its multi server capabilities, but it's really unusable. One thing to note is that I was using 6.x with the Polaris script which was originally written for 5.4 or something, though I doubt that is to blame for the problems. I don't think I'm the only one with this type of problem either. It's been a long time, hopefully a new version of mIRC will be released with some major fixes.
Posted By: theRat Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 17/04/03 03:48 PM
So you didn't even try plain mIRC 6.03 install??
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 17/04/03 09:40 PM
You dont say which version(s) of mIRC you tried that caused this, unless you meant to imply that v 6, 6.01,6.02, and 6.03 all did this. Many ppl are using those versions on 2k without probs. You also dont say if you tried without polaris. (note that there were many changes between 5.4 and 6.03 that could effect older scripts of any kind) I'm with Rat, try a clean copy of v6.03 WITHOUT a script that hexes mIRC and let us know if you still have the same prob. Many ppl have reported an assortment of unusual probs using polaris that all go away when they get rid of it and use a clean copy of mIRC. Certainly is worth trying.
Posted By: Khaled Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 18/04/03 01:24 PM
It's probably not that wise to use a script that was written for mIRC 5.4, which is five years old, with mIRC 6.03. You're pretty much asking for trouble.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 18/04/03 02:26 PM
Its Khaled! Yay! *cheers*
Posted By: theRat Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 18/04/03 10:34 PM
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!
\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/
KHAAALED!!! KHAAAALED!!! KHAAALED!!! KHAAAALED!!! KHAAALED!!! KHAAAALED!!!
Posted By: codemastr Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 19/04/03 12:57 AM
Maybe I'm totally wrong, but isn't polaris one of the scripts that contains backdoors?
Posted By: _D3m0n_ Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 19/04/03 01:09 AM
last i heard there was also a polaris script that did support the multiserver mirc ... so there should be no reason why he should be sticking to such an OLD script to begin with ..... if all this person is wanting to do is use scripts made before his pc was then possibly hes going to run into all these issues..... altho maybe he does infact have an older pc and has a very good reason for using things that dont work on things they are not intended for ???? who knows ....... i guess u just cant explian VERSIONS to some ppl LOL
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 19/04/03 07:15 AM
afaik, there was one by that name that did...and also hexed mIRC
Posted By: dreamer1 Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 20/04/03 07:39 PM
I dont know if 6.x is causing problems with my windows 2000, but I know something has been screwing up my windows 2000 for a while now (I'm pretty sure its from before 6.x) with the same kind of problems you experience, mirc reports "error creating window" and windows generally has problems opening stuff after being up for a while, some sort of leak (doesnt appear to be a memory leak) and I can temporarily fix it by closing a few programs, to free up resources for a few more days. the only scripts I'm running are my own although some are fairly old the ones in use are working ok.
Posted By: Doqnach Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 24/04/03 10:35 PM
I posted a topic about this a while ago too...

after a few days mIRC just fills up my memory and I have to restart mIRC and it's back to normal.

might be a mem leak in a script though I have no idea what it could be.

found a bug which caused to crash mIRC on closing. seems it doens't like to have the same dll file loaded from 2 diferent locations ;-]
Posted By: Ash_Fox Re: 6.x makes windows 2000 unusable - 27/04/03 01:17 AM
I've had that same problem, however I found the answer to that problem was basicly reducing the buffer used in mIRC...

I am on 27 networks, so heh, obviously mIRC's buffer is going to take up alot of memory if you have it on for days on days like me smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums