mIRC Homepage
Posted By: zantetsuken utf-8 decode problem - 14/04/08 11:19 PM
little problem i have came across.. not sure if anyone else has posted this .. i looked but didn't see one.

if a nickname has ascii chr's in it and the msg they send has ascii chr's in it the nickname becomes undecoded.

here is a screen shot of what i mean

jessy is the nickname and the rest is just an example string. notice the nickname becomes decoded once all the fancy ascii chr's are gone. lol hope i explained this well enough. mIRC version is 6.17 im not %100 sure but i think it did this with newer versions as well.... thanks
Posted By: RusselB Re: utf-8 decode problem - 15/04/08 01:22 AM
Considering the number of updates and fixes that have been put into place since 6.17, you really should confirm that this still happens with the current version (6.31).
Posted By: zantetsuken Re: utf-8 decode problem - 15/04/08 01:07 PM
i just tried in the newest mirc version.. and it still does it
Posted By: argv0 Re: utf-8 decode problem - 15/04/08 04:25 PM
This was very recently reported here.

The problem lies in the fact that you never really know if the incoming message should indeed be unicode and generally you have to take an educated guess. This is what mIRC does intentionally, and with any guess it can occasionally be wrong.

The behaviour is currently "intentional", though it's not always right and can probably be improved. However, I would say that if the user's message contains non-unicode then mIRC is indeed correct in parsing it as ANSI-- the user should be the one to properly encode their message (you're not supposed to mix ANSI and UTF-8 anyway). The only time when mIRC is "wrong" is when the ANSI text (or UTF8 for an incoming ANSI line) is generated by your mIRC script/configuration and resides on the same line. This case should not affect the encoding of the incoming line. You can read more about that one in the post above.
Posted By: zantetsuken Re: utf-8 decode problem - 15/04/08 05:40 PM
alright thanks.. sorry i posted this kind of topic again lol
© mIRC Discussion Forums