mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Rand /splay and /beep do not work if /ebeeps is off. - 21/06/07 04:09 AM
It appears that you can not play a sound file if you have ebeeps disabled. Using version 6.21.

Example
/ebeeps off
//splay $qt($sfile($mircdir))

The file will not play.

/ebeeps on
//splay $qt($sfile($mircdir))

The file plays.

I've tried this by entering just the file name by hand (no identifiers), and used separate files for the tests. Same outcome.

THIS IS NOT A BUG

From the help file
Quote:
/ebeeps [on | off]
Enables or disables the sounds in the Sounds dialog.
From the Versions.txt file
Quote:
81.Disabling sounds in the Sounds dialog now does actually disable all sounds, even those using /splay or /beep.

http://www.mirc.co.uk/whatsnew.txt

Quote:
We hope to have smashed the confusing 'flash' and 'beep' options by adding a "Default" menu item to System Menu Flash/Beep items, allowing channel/query/chat windows to use the default settings as set in the Options/Sounds dialog. And disabling sounds in the Sounds dialog now does actually disable -all- sounds, even those using /splay or /beep. ;-)

Quote:

81.Disabling sounds in the Sounds dialog now does actually disable all sounds, even those using /splay or /beep.

Edit: too late :P
Hmm, must have overlooked that. Either way, I'm not too happy about it.

Specific sound events should be set up individually not to have any sounds associated with them. That way you will not have a problem with /ebeeps. And otherwise you should just flank your command with turning them on and off.
If you have some situation where it would conflict, I'd be happy to hear it.

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178320&page=1#Post178320
Quote:
And otherwise you should just flank your command with turning them on and off.

Here, an "$ebeeps" would help a lot - to restore the setting changed.
Originally Posted By: Horstl
Quote:
And otherwise you should just flank your command with turning them on and off.

Here, an "$ebeeps" would help a lot - to restore the setting changed.

Yes, an $ebeeps would be very useful.
As it is you can mess with hidden @windows and some method of "/sleep", or read $mircini but you'd need to /saveini first. Both methods being slow.
  • //saveini | echo -a $gettok($readini($mircini,options,n5),15,44)

Now (mIRC v6.3) we heve our $ebeeps smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums