mIRC Homepage
Posted By: myndzi splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 03/03/03 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what mIRC uses to play back mp3s, I'd thought it called some Windows function to do the work. Anyway, when I play an mp3 in mIRC I get this weird "knocking" type sound, it happens along with the music in certain parts (tends to coincide with the drums) so I guess it only happens in certain bands of the audio. I'm not really versed in audio stuff though.

This does not happen in Winamp, Windows Media Player, or zinc (forgot I even had that installed..). I originally thought it might have to do with the large amount of scripts I had loaded but it persists on a relatively clean (<20 scripts) copy of mIRC 6.03.

I usually use Winamp anyway, but I thought I'd ask if this is a problem for anyone else, and see if it is indeed a bug.

Edit: It's not the same for every mp3; some sound fine, some are very subtle, and some are majorly strange (like the one I was trying when I wrote this post) The mp3 in question is 128 kbit CBR, 44.1 khz etc.

-myndzi
Posted By: Watchdog Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 03/03/03 12:23 PM
mIRC tells Media Player to play the noises. I've never experienced the knocking sound though. it could just be a one-off gremlin.
Posted By: myndzi Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 03/03/03 01:08 PM
I figured it was something like that. But mplayer doesnt have a problem, just mIRC.

Also along the lines of weird mp3 bugs; I sent a friend my edited version of oS\2's excellent tinymp3 player.. he puts the thing in shuffle and loads up some songs.. after a song completes he sees the trackbar moving but hears no sound.

<me> //say $insong - $vol(song) $vol(song).mute - $vol(master) $vol(master).mute
<him> $true - 30583 $false - 47316 $false

No clue about this one either.

Edit: forgot to mention that if he manually drags the seek bar, the audio comes back.

-myndzi
Posted By: ppslim Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 03/03/03 03:07 PM
This may the effect of a corrupt frame near the begining. Moving the bar may cause it to treat the next frame to be read as the first (which isn't corrupted).

It may be worth trying a trimmer, and getting run of a few frames.
Posted By: myndzi Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 03/03/03 09:53 PM
It happens with any mp3 ;/

Don't I get the weird stuff? Did I already mention the "paused timer" problem? :P

-myndzi
Posted By: SergioNL Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 07/03/03 03:04 AM
uninstall the ac3 codec(if you installed nimo pack then that ac3 is installed with it), mIRC seems to have problems with it, however i find it weird becouse mediaplayer runs mp3 fine when ac3 is installed

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...ch=true#Post339

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...h=true#Post9098

i first tought it was a bug of the codec, but why is mediaplayer playing it fine then?:)
Posted By: myndzi Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 08/03/03 12:38 AM
Very strange. Thanks for the links though, guess I didn't search thoroughly enough...
Posted By: Phant0m Re: splay with mp3s + "knocking" sound - 08/03/03 09:49 PM
mIRC passes the filename directly onto Window using MCI (Media Control Interface), which then handles the playing of the file. Basically saying Windows Media Player or any 3rd party Media Players doesn’t play that of which mIRC’s /splay’s, all gets sent directly to the MCI Codec and then decompressed in the memory for playing.

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...amp;amp;fpart=1
© mIRC Discussion Forums