mIRC Homepage
Posted By: indiasmostwanted mirc.ini as adware - 05/12/04 11:46 PM
mcafee anti spyware scan results list mirc.ini as an adware.
Any solution to it?
Posted By: Danthemandoo Re: mirc.ini as adware - 06/12/04 01:53 AM
stop using mcafee?
Posted By: Mentality Re: mirc.ini as adware - 06/12/04 07:13 AM
Several users have reported this, unfortunately, this is down to McAffee returning incorrect results. If you're running a script, perhaps it's something to do with how the mirc.ini was altered, I'm not sure if it's a default mirc.ini that's detected.

There's nothing that can be done to mIRC to fix this, this is a "false positive" on McAffee's part and they would need to release an update to fix the issue. Whether they will or not is another matter though.

Regards,
Posted By: jinkx Re: mirc.ini as adware - 06/12/04 07:09 PM
hell, there was a time i lost 30kb if scripting because a virus scanner thought script.ini was a virus...

virus scanners and mirc ini\mrc files dont mix
they arnt intelligent enough to pick up viruses unless they use a checksum of some kind, which they dont. at some time i think were was a time virus scanners that thought servers.ini was a virus
Posted By: dJabba Re: mirc.ini as adware - 07/12/04 07:50 PM
i use norton, and the only prob i had concerning mirc and viruses were the dll called regedit.dll (by DragonZap) that is reported as a trojan - the reason for this is that it can write to the windows regestry database.

maybe mcaffee also detects scripted COM objects that does this, but i don't know exactly, havent used McAffee since dos.

but always remember the 3 most important things when working with computers: Make backups, make backups and make backups.... and maybe also make backups.. ! grin
Posted By: DaveC Re: mirc.ini as adware - 07/12/04 08:05 PM
one more thing to remeber, is to make sure the backups actually work. Its qute humours to see someone running around maddly trying to get there backups (they have done religiusly for 2 years) to restore and they wont.
© mIRC Discussion Forums