mIRC Homepage
Posted By: fireburner Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 19/10/04 02:24 AM
Hey Fellow mIRC users, my problem is this..

I have a P4 2.6Ghz with 1024 m/b ram
Windows XP w/ SP2
Latest updates.
I use avast AV.

When I'm downloading through DCC & the file completes or gets disconected etc (usually larger files) mIRC will hang/freeze for about 10 minutes & it'll boot me out of rooms etc..

I don't use the default download folder.
I've searched these forums.
I've tried reinstalling
Posted By: Danthemandoo Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 19/10/04 02:48 AM
try disabling avast before the download is complete
Posted By: fireburner Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 19/10/04 03:07 AM
I'll try that.. but only problem is I'm not always on the computer & don't wanna leave AV off for to long. What AV do you use?
Thanks for your reply
Posted By: Danthemandoo Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 19/10/04 01:04 PM
i use norton 2004, and that physically halts the program thats downloaded the file until the scan is complete, so with zipped files which contain lots of files, it takes a long time to scan, so norton halts mirc for a long time.
There should be an option to add a file extention to be ignored by auto scan (least there is in norton), i use that when i'm sent any files with a lot of smaller files in it.

I was only assuming avast did something similar because thats the problem i get with norton, apart from that i'm afraid i can't help any further. there might be some suggestions somewhere on the forum if you search.
Posted By: tontito Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 20/10/04 01:33 PM
well i guess it is better for you to don't dl big files.
I guess it is not a home made video...
Posted By: Danthemandoo Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 20/10/04 07:47 PM
not that i want this to turn into a warez debate, but depending on what you are doing, norton (and i assume any other anti virus that halts the program) can do it with really small files, EG, a copy of a website, including all the images, can total several hundred files but be less than a few MB, which takes time to scan, especially if your PC is slow.
Posted By: punky9 Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 11/03/05 01:21 PM
it might be due to winsock registry corruption. check out these links:
http://dly.free.fr/site/article.php3?id_article=1

it's been originally discussed here:
https://forums.mirc.com/s...=true#Post88396

tell me if it fixes your problem.
Posted By: mIRCManiac Re: Mirc 6.16 freezes/hangs with DCC - 11/03/05 06:39 PM
ummm this thread is like 1 year and 5 months old, lagging are we? smirk
© mIRC Discussion Forums