mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Bilge /cd* bug in 6.15 - 18/06/04 11:26 PM
It is impossible to have an alias called "cd..." where ... is anything or nothing. If you create an alias with a name such as I did, "cdate" then this function will be inaccessible. There is no issue if "cd" are not the first two characters, only if they are.

I am sure that there is a reason for this obscure bug, but without the source I doubt I shall ever know. Please fix this as soon as possible; it is breaking scripts.
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 18/06/04 11:30 PM
Strange..

Code:
alias cdate { 
  if (!$isid) echo -a ok
  else return ok
}

/cdate works but $cdate doesn't

Code:
alias cdx { 
  if (!$isid) echo -a ok
  else return ok
}

/cdx works but $cdx doesn't
Posted By: qwerty Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 18/06/04 11:59 PM
It's not really a bug, see this.
Posted By: Bilge Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 19/06/04 02:40 PM
Well qwerty you comment that it is now more consistent but I find the whole concept of the string append shorthand nothing if not inconsistent in the first place since it only applies to a select few identifiers. I was already aware of the shorhand and all the identifiers relating to it, except for $cd because I never use file servers.

Perhaps then, this is more of a feature request than a bug report but whether or not it breaks some scritps I personally feel that this needs to be standardised so that if you want to append strings to directory identifiers then you should be required to use the $+() or $+ identifiers just as in any other scenario. After all, with the way that it is now, some scripts are already broken and I cannot think of a more suitable name for my alias than cdate, given what it does and nor do I wish to have to based on some obscure an inconsistent shortcut for fileservers.
Posted By: qwerty Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 19/06/04 02:47 PM
I agree that making all identifiers unable to be prepended directly to a string would be more consistent, but changing this now would break far too many scripts; I've seen countless scripts using $mircdirsomething, for example. The drawbacks of implementing this right now are greater than the advantages imo.
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 19/06/04 02:49 PM
KT's suggestion in that other thread sounds good to me.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 19/06/04 02:53 PM
That creates another problem in that a script could use $cdtemp meant as $cd $+ temp and then another script could define $cdtemp or /cdtemp as a command and break it.
Posted By: Bilge Re: /cd* bug in 6.15 - 20/06/04 03:11 PM
qwerty, yes it would of course break some scripts, but it is not exactly that difficult to fix. You could even write a script to batch fix it if you really wanted to. I think it's more important to have this sorted out once and for all than to have it hanging on for ever more, continuing to cause all kinds of problems.
© mIRC Discussion Forums