mIRC Homepage
Posted By: mafanda reply message when joining a channel - 20/03/08 10:28 PM
Hi,
Im writing an irc-bot of my own and cant just find the correct spec for the JOIN-command.
Aren't the other members of the channel supposed to get a
message when a new user joins the channel?
Of course they are, I just cant find the correct RFC-specs.
Got any suggestions?

Thanks!
Posted By: argv0 Re: reply message when joining a channel - 20/03/08 10:29 PM
Use RFC 1459 http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/rfc1459.txt

Everything you need is in there
Posted By: mafanda Re: reply message when joining a channel - 20/03/08 10:31 PM
Yup, I've read it.
Can't find anything about messages sent to other members,
though.
I'm confused. You're talking about making an IRC bot, which normally means an automated client user that connects to an IRC server, however you're talking about sending a JOIN message to all other users. If you really are implementing an IRC bot (as in a client) then you don't need to worry about that, the JOIN message is automatically propagated to other users by the server when you successfully join a channel.
Posted By: mafanda Re: reply message when joining a channel - 20/03/08 10:43 PM
Hi,
and thanks for your incredibly quick responses, should I
be worried smile

Ok, What Im essentially doing is writing a bot in the sense that it is a scriptable client. One of the tasks I have to solve for one of its upcoming nifty feature is the problem I so clumsily described above; I really need to get a notification when a user enters the channel that Im on. The message that I'm talking about is one that supposidly is sent to all members of the channel when a new member joins. This is the message that i desperatly need to capture.

Cheers!
OK, in that case the JOIN message you receive from others will look something like this:

Code:
:joininguser JOIN :#joinedchannelname

The exact format of joininguser varies depending on the server, but generally it will be a full nickname!ident@hostname.com. The colon (:) before the channel name is also optional. This is briefly described in the "Join message" section of RFC 1459 (section 4.2.1) however it's not very well explained.

As a note, you can use mIRC's debugging feature to see the exact raw messages it sends to and receives from the server. For example type /debug @debug and the @debug custom window will list all traffic.
Posted By: mafanda Re: reply message when joining a channel - 20/03/08 11:02 PM
Greatm thanks!
Now I got it.

For some strange reason mIRC isn't compiled for any *nix so its not an option for me.
Well, thanks alot for the help, greatly appreciated!

Posted By: argv0 Re: reply message when joining a channel - 21/03/08 12:25 AM
That's not really strange, mIRC is an IRC client for the Windows operating system-- always has been.
Posted By: Bekar Re: reply message when joining a channel - 21/03/08 01:08 AM
In any case there are plenty of existing clients for *nix platforms, including epic/ircII, bitchx, xchat, ircs, etc. etc..

All of these have existing scripting languages and structures of which 'bots' have been made in the past.

If you're programming a bot from scratch, possibly you want to look closer at the eggdrop stuff.

In any case, the RFC has all of this basic information in it. Coupled with a basic understanding of IRC in general, you shouldn't have any issues.
© mIRC Discussion Forums