mIRC Homepage
Posted By: The_JD Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 12/02/08 01:08 PM
I just added something any VB6 developers might be interested in.

Its not complete, but worth having a look at.

Basically, its a shell that hard wraps around mIRC.exe allowing you to modify the visual apperance appearance and add controls (the example includes statusbar)

http://www.mircscripts.org/downloads/mircOwner_4034.zip
http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=4034
Posted By: qwerty Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 12/02/08 01:57 PM
Both links are broken.
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 12/02/08 02:01 PM
Gah hasnt been approved yet, Sorry.

Check the file queue.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 01:44 AM
isn't VB6 like... obsolete?
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 02:46 AM
Hardly, More users on VB6 than most newer design apps.

Somehow Microsoft never recovered all of the users from VB6. maybe because they went and designed a completely different system and named it VB :P
Posted By: argv0 Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 03:35 AM
Quote:

More users on VB6 than most newer design apps.

I *highly* doubt that.
Posted By: foshizzle Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 04:09 AM
vb6 is very popular because its an easy and very helpful scripting language

but vb.NET is its replacement
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 09:27 AM
Go query say 100 people, and I bet you will find more have vb6 than any other programming language. anyhow, obselete or not, I just thought someone might be able to do something with it.
Posted By: Jigsy Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 11:02 PM
I know VB 6, but I HATE VB.NET.
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 13/02/08 11:29 PM
I hate VB as a whole but your the first person i've ever heard say too preffer vb6 over VB.NET shocked Atleast VB.NET bring .NET goodness! smile
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/02/08 02:27 AM
lol i love vb6. cant stand vb.net
Posted By: argv0 Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/02/08 07:24 AM
vb.net is likely way better than vb6 for countless reasons, one being MSIL, second is the .NET framework, and finally: object orientation that actually means object orientation

die hard vb6 coders are a dying breed (no pun intended), and while im sure there may still be some abandoned warehouse in which you can find plenty of them, no one in their right mind would start a new project using that platform, as there's *no* support for it. the only coders out there now are supporting legacy systems-- and again, relative to any other language in the world, vb is a minority.

Don't believe me, here's some hard data:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~flab/languages.html is a cute graph, though it would be reasonable to call it skewed since i doubt many people coding in VB know what open source means... This also lumps VB6 with .NET... I'll bet that chops down a bunch of the numbers, maybe by 30-40% at least. I wish I could find stats on VB6 vs. .NET users.

this is probably a little more accurate: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/comp.lang-statistics/ since it encompasses mailing lists, which is something that VB users are more likely to use across the board. The interesting thing is that you can actually see the fall off of the "basic" (which i imagine encompasses VB) thread from being #3 in 1997 to #15 in 2007, and its falling exponentially. Even FORTRAN is more active than basic.. that doesn't say much at all. And again, this encompasses all *basics, visual, non, and .NET, probably.

Here are the results from another angle, search terms:
http://www.welton.it/articles/language_popularity.html

Once again, while VB isn't "dead", look what it's competing with.. shell programming. Keep in mind that just like the others, it doesnt differentiate VB6 from .NET.

Note that while all of these results are in themselves skewed to one specific use case-- none of them cast VB in the same light you do.. ie. if I were to interview 100 programmers, only about 3 of them would be using VB, according to most of those results. It surely does *not* say that "more users on vb6 than most other design apps", that's for sure.
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/02/08 02:24 PM
Would love to have a poll on mirc.com about what people here use
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/02/08 02:54 PM
Im attempting to learn C++ (again).
Thankfully I have managed to convert a couple of my vb6 dlls even though I don't have much C++ knowledge.

The bad part is that there are no great tutorials for making DLL's in Visual C++ Express versions.

Edit: Thanks Google for your help!
Posted By: argv0 Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/02/08 09:07 PM
I'd bet very few people on this forum know many other languages besides mirc script. of those that do, you'd probably find that just like all programmers, they know and use many different languages and probably wont claim one specifically.. unless of course its php, in which case that counts as 0.
Posted By: The_JD Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 16/02/08 03:32 PM
lol anyway, this thread isnt meant to be a debate :P If you want it, use it, If you dont, Dont! :P
Posted By: TRT Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 14/03/08 09:34 AM
Sounds interesting, where can I get&test it? smile
Posted By: foshizzle Re: Anyone using VB6? Skinning mIRC etc. - 17/03/08 03:47 PM
Quote:
I'd bet very few people on this forum know many other languages besides mirc script

i know vb.net, some c++, and actionscript
© mIRC Discussion Forums