mIRC Homepage
Posted By: LeGIt Japanese - 17/10/03 03:50 PM
Is there any chance mIRC will be given support to display japanese characters? Maybe as an add on or something?

I do not mean so the whole program is in japanese, just that if someone was to type japanese in irc i would like to be able to read the kanjii smile
Posted By: Rounin Re: Japanese - 17/10/03 06:14 PM
mIRC has support for Japanese already. However, I think you need to change some of your Windows settings in order to display Japanese correctly, because Japanese people use a different text encoding than most other people.
Posted By: LeGIt Re: Japanese - 17/10/03 07:09 PM
i instaled every language when i installed xp - including japanese smile

this option you pseak of - where do i find it?
Posted By: Rounin Re: Japanese - 17/10/03 08:42 PM
If I were using Windows, I'd be happy to tell you.

However, I'm using Linux, and I'm mostly here to promote the usage of the text encoding UTF-8 - An encoding that supports many languages. That's part of the reason your post caught my eye - The other reason being that I study Japanese.

Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure an experienced XP user would be able to give you directions, though.
Posted By: LeGIt Re: Japanese - 17/10/03 11:53 PM
maybe there is a way to change mirc text encoding then? *shrugs*
Posted By: sparta Re: Japanese - 17/10/03 11:59 PM
Or get a client that suport that stuff?
Posted By: trenzterra Re: Japanese - 18/10/03 01:56 AM
mIRC doesn't support it yet
Posted By: IceWolf Re: Japanese - 26/10/03 06:21 AM
Mirc does support the EUC/SJIS conversion (though that really messes up communication between mirc users that have the option set, and those who don't)

But as long as you are running japanese windows, or, set your default system language to Japanese (under 2k) / Default Language for non Unicode programs (under XP) then it will work fine as it will get all the raw SJIS, and windows will display the characters as appropriate ... unless the person on the other side is running mirc and has the multibyte options turned un, then you will see garbage from that person.
© mIRC Discussion Forums