mIRC Homepage
Posted By: ozyvent Smileys - 23/07/03 02:29 AM
Has anyone brought up smileys/emoticons being a possible future addition to mirc? If it has could someone give me a link to the thread?

I think adding smileys/emoticons would be good for those who like them, but have an option to turn them off, for those who dont like them, and they'd just appear as normal, e.g. smile :P etc.
Posted By: codemastr Re: Smileys - 23/07/03 02:33 AM
Yes, yes they have. If you want to know the thread, then use the search feature, I don't see why we should have to do that for you...
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Smileys - 23/07/03 04:34 AM
https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...=true#Post30868
Posted By: CloCkWeRX Re: Smileys - 24/07/03 05:34 AM
Not only has it be (a) Suggested to death; but also (b) proven to be possible via modified fonts and scripting (rather shoddily but proven none the less) by me me me! (*feels a moment of pride in his life which is quickly crushed by the general oppression of reality*)
Posted By: codemastr Re: Smileys - 24/07/03 02:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't mIRC only allow a single font to be displayed on the screen at one time? Therefore, if you change the font to produce a smiley, then it means all the text must appear in this font?
Posted By: Prizm Re: Smileys - 24/07/03 02:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing...
Posted By: CloCkWeRX Re: Smileys - 24/07/03 08:04 PM
You got it in one. Right now I have 284k of font data for a modified version of arial - its a lot just to replace 5 characters. This also means that whenever I see a character I've replaced I get a smilely face, but since it was just fancy o's i'm not too fazed (and you can sorta still read it). Ugly, messy, run by on text events, but its possible to do and thats as far as I am taking it.
Posted By: codemastr Re: Smileys - 24/07/03 08:50 PM
Ok yeah, I wasn't thinking of creating our own font, I was thinking more along the lines of using Wingdings and I'm sure you can see the problems that would present wink
© mIRC Discussion Forums