I think that will be very useful ..
Posted By: Poltergeist Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 12:05 PM
Usefull for what? :tongue:
Posted By: pheonix Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 12:18 PM
reading files backwards?........
Posted By: Poltergeist Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 12:19 PM
Why on earth would you want to do that?
Posted By: codemastr Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 02:50 PM
Well if you want to read a file backwards, instead of reading from 1.. $lines(file), read from $lines(file) .. 1
Posted By: pheonix Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 02:57 PM
i didnt suggest this feature, i just said thats what it would do
Posted By: Adrenalin Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:05 PM
Example you have a big file and whant to find some from the fresh part .. Not from the old .. example last nick join ..
Posted By: Adrenalin Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:07 PM
Sometimes is very useful ! But its just my sugestion ..
Posted By: pheonix Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:09 PM
as codemastr said you could just use
$read(yourtext.txt,$lines(yourtext.txt)) smile
Posted By: Adrenalin Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:11 PM
I know that can be do with a script .. The w,s($read) and other more switches can be imitated be a script .. And is still there
Posted By: KingTomato Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:25 PM
Pheonix, why are you playing the parrot. Stop making redundant and useless posts pls. Every time you post, your IQ drops a level equal to your current post count.
Posted By: qwerty Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 07:57 PM
I think something of that sort would be useful. You mentioned a valid example where this would be needed. Personally, I'd like to see it implemented in a slightly different way: the ability to use negative numbers, like we do in $*tok identifiers:

$read(file,-2)
Would read the 2nd line from the end

$read(file,w,*blah*,-3)
What would that do? Well, I'm not sure, but I guess it would be nice if it made $read() search backwards for lines matching *blah*, starting the search from the 3rd line from the end.

While we're at it, I'd like negative numbers support for other identifiers too, like $line().
Posted By: pheonix Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 08:39 PM
ok, but im sure adrenaline doesnt appreciate being replied to when ya talkin to me=\
Posted By: KingTomato Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 08:45 PM
notice i addressed u at the beginning.. Like it matters at that point...
Posted By: pheonix Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 20/06/03 08:46 PM
forget i said anything ok?
lets not let another threat get off topic thru our arguin smile
d00dman seemed to get mad last time
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 21/06/03 06:42 AM
Obviously you missed the point of d00d's post. No one is going to get mad at users disagreeing (civilly) with each other while they make valid points. What IS annoying is a ton of useless posts made for no reason other than perhaps to see yourself post or increase your count. To make a post to repeat what someone else just said, or to object to another user clicking the reply button on the wrong post, or to post irrelevant nonsense is a waste of everyone's time. We ask ppl to use the search feature and when they see a multitude of crud having nothing to do with the issue or helpful in any way, can we blame them for not wanting to wade thru that? Do you think it will encourage users to come here for help?

The OCCASIONAL offtopic post isnt going to make anyone mad. Sometimes threads take a sharp left turn as one thing leads to another, no big deal. The OCCASIONAL joking isnt a problem. However, wading thru dozens of useless posts that have to be deleted, and locking threads cause they have gone to hell in a handbasket so this forum doesnt look like an insane asylum, instead of using our time to answer questions is a fast way to make us seriously cranky. THINK before you hit enter.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 21/06/03 11:43 PM
Have you ever considered this MIGHT BE an insane asylum?

TOOT TOOT!

*thinking....*
*thinking....*
*click*
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: $Read addition -r (reverse) - 22/06/03 07:48 AM
some days, yes :tongue:
© mIRC Discussion Forums