mIRC Homepage

I'd like to point out that currently, when you use the Agent commands on mIRC, when making a character "say" something, all it does is show the speech bubble and NOT actually use the text2speech engine to use voice synthesys to actually 'say' the text (that is, make the character say the text with its voice while its lips move according to it and all that).

I felt rather deceived when I found that out one or two years ago and I'd love if Khaled would please make Agent support be able to use its text2speech engines to actually say the text you order it to say it, instead of _only_ showing a speech bubble with the text. =/

Thank you in advance, Khaled -- if you're reading this. wink
To get the Microsoft Speech Agent Components, goto http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads.htm
It has all you need for a "speaking" mIRC smile
I have that problem too.. it worked perfectly fine and then suddenly stopped working, I have everything required installed... odd frown
wouldnt hurt to double check your agent options in mIRC... and if you are using winxp, be sure to get the SAPI 4 on the url Merlin posted.
Did you try gloading it again? /gload agentname agentname.acs like /gload peedy peedy.acs

Also wouldnt hurt to double check the agent options in mIRC
yes, i tried loading it again, about 4 times. it still.. does not.. work. yes, i checked my mIRC agent options.. and there was nothing wrong in them. yes.. i have installed the 'text2speech' engine or components or whatever you wanna call it. yes, i've installed MsAgent2.. duh.... yes, i have installed characters.. d'oh.... and uhhm.. still no 'speech' from the character when used in mIRC.

only thing i haven't tried is the SAPI4 thing. i will try that shortly and tell if it still doesn't work.
ok. i installed the SAPI4 thing. still not working. what should I do? and who else gets this problem?
hrm, been wandering around that disgusting M$ web site looking for msagent2 info.. what OS and version of mIRC are you running? Currently i'm wondering if its related to the TTS engine, or if there is another file you need that isnt obvious.
There are two other things you can try.

1. Open the Speech control panel (assuming you installed it) and check if there are any TTS engines installed. If not, you will see an empty window. Otherwise click on one of them (e.g. TruVoice) and then on Pronounciation. Type some words and see if they are actually spoken. If that works, you can be sure that the problem is not with SAPI 4 or with the TTS engine.

2. Your Windows version could be non-US English. For example, if you have a Dutch Windows version and only one TTS engine which happens to be US English, your agent characters will refuse to talk because they can only speak Dutch.

Try the following commands in your Perform section:

/gload mirc
/gopts -n mirc 0x0409

The first line loads whatever character is selected in File/Options/Sounds/Agents, the second line sets the language to US English. Now all you have to do is connect to a server and see what happens. Good luck.
I'm on (spanish, though that shouldn't matter) WinXP Pro with SP1.

I've installed the American English TTS engines, and the core components, and even the speech recognition engine.
OMG!!..

That /gopts made it work!! Thanks a lot!!
© mIRC Discussion Forums