mIRC Homepage
Posted By: rhkenji My Thoughts - 08/05/03 08:27 AM
lock switchbar Option [cannot be moved], BNCSupport, Built in SSh Telnet and other similar stuffs [For Eggdrop Users], Better Script Editor, Variables are kept in a hash table, Better Address Book, Faster Sockets, Password Protected mIRC Editor and Encrypted Script files [Anti- Script Rippers and Stuffs], Loaded Dll List, mIRC Status Bar!!! Replace the Titlebar Showing the Channel, TOpic and Stuffs, Control Over the Tray Icon [Popups on Editor Dialog], /splay plays more sound file types, Dialog Xbutton can be disabled, Dialog Titlebar can be removed, Im Thinking..............................
Posted By: theRat Re: My Thoughts - 08/05/03 11:54 AM
  • lock switchbar Option [cannot be moved]
    - Sure, but I haven't ever mistakenly moved switchbar...
  • BNCSupport
    - I haven't played around with BNCs, but my friends haven't had any problems with mIRC & BNC so mIRC supports BNCs as far as I know, and rest can be scripted
  • Built in SSH Telnet and other similar stuffs [For Eggdrop Users]
    - SSH, USA export restrictions, use the boards search to find out about this.
  • Better Script Editor: Variables are kept in a hash table
    - w00t?? use hash tables if you wan't?
  • Better Address Book
    - Only useful tabs for me in address book are control & nick tabs, probably most of mIRC users don't even know about this, something should be done.
  • Faster Sockets
    - Sockets are as fast as your script/connection is?
  • Password Protected mIRC Editor and Encrypted Script files [Anti- Script Rippers and Stuffs]
    - No, If you don't wan't your script to be ripped don't distribute it. How would ppl know what scripts contains(possible trojans, "viruses", amount of K-lines will increase with n00bZ using lame scripts(Of course n00bs won't understand a bit about the code anyway, but helpers can easily find the bad stuff in scripts)) if they can't see the code.
    - Encrypted script files would slow down the already slow script execution.
  • Loaded Dll List
    - Now that's something useful, but, aren't there already programs which can do this?
  • mIRC Status Bar!!!
    - If it can be disabled, though i could find some use for it, if it's scriptable, DLLs can do this?
  • Replace the Titlebar Showing the Channel, TOpic and Stuffs
    - Sure, but available trough DLL?
  • Control Over the Tray Icon [Popups on Editor Dialog]
    - What?
  • /splay plays more sound file types
    - Sure
  • Dialog Xbutton can be disabled
    - Why not, possible with DLL
  • Dialog Titlebar can be removed
    - Why not, possible with DLL

These are just my thoughts about your suggestions, and these might change...
Posted By: codemastr Re: My Thoughts - 08/05/03 04:55 PM
lock switchbar Option [cannot be moved],
I've never accidentily moved it, so not really sure what the use would be.
BNCSupport
mIRC works just fine with BNC

Built in SSh Telnet and other similar stuffs [For Eggdrop Users]
No idea what this is supposed to mean. Eggdrop has no understanding of SSH, so what exactly would that have to do with eggdrop? And as was mentioned, SSH uses strong-crypto which has export restrictions in some nations and import restrictions in some nations. As for telnet; telnet is a simple protocol, you can script it if you really need it.

Better Script Editor
Care to give actual examples of what can make it better?

Variables are kept in a hash table
Well first off, how do you know mIRC doesn't internally keep them in a hash table? And if you are really worried, then use the hash table functions rather than variables.

Better Address Book
I've been using mIRC for 4 years, I've never once used the address book, instead of improving it, I'd rather see it removed.

Faster Sockets
And how do you propose this should be done? If you need sockets to work faster, play around with the TCP settings in the Windows Registry.

Password Protected mIRC Editor and Encrypted Script files [Anti- Script Rippers and Stuffs]
Again encryption = export restrictions. Also if mIRC has the ability to decrypt it, that means anyone who wants it can get it. You simply do a memory dump after mIRC reads the decrypted file into memory. Also, if mIRC can decrypt it, that means it needs to know the key, and if mIRC knows the key, that means the user had to give mIRC the key which means the user can then also decrypt it assuming he/she knows the algorithm used to encrypt it.

Loaded Dll List
$dll(N/filename) returns the Nth loaded DLL

mIRC Status Bar!!!
And it would display what?

Replace the Titlebar Showing the Channel, TOpic and Stuffs
dlls can already do this, but not totally sure why you would want to?

Control Over the Tray Icon [Popups on Editor Dialog]
No idea what you mean by this. A new list ie status,channel,chat,nicklist,menubar, and now tray? If so, I suppose that could be useful.

/splay plays more sound file types
mIRC is a chat program, not a jukebox. mIRC simply supports whatever your default media program supports.

Dialog Xbutton can be disabled
Usefulness?

Dialog Titlebar can be removed
Usefulness?
Posted By: CloCkWeRX Re: My Thoughts - 09/05/03 12:16 AM
In reply to the better script editor bit:
Go out and find a text based editor that is used for real programming, if it supports custom sytnax highlighting then you are set.

editplus does it, there's also an STX available for it that allows you to highlight mIRC script, etc etc. I won't spam for it (at least not much). There are countless syntax highlighting editors and at least some of them are customisable.They all come complete with a few thousand flashy gimmicky addons too.

The internal editor does its job well enough, the moment you start heaping new stuff onto it your bound to find trouble.

Effective use of an external editor and the /reload command means that its more than easy to synchronise editing with the script, just as the internal one does.
© mIRC Discussion Forums