mIRC Homepage
Posted By: pctek Would be a great addition to mIRC - 30/08/08 10:14 PM
As with all users, I get way to many "private" messages from bots and others I dont know. I'd love to see a "buddy list" function in mIRC where I can control who can send me a private message ! Any chance of this happening?
Posted By: RusselB Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 30/08/08 11:12 PM
There are several scripts for this already written and available for download from most, if not all, scripting sites, including, but not limited to Hawkee, mIRC Scripts.org and mIRC.net
Posted By: Jigsy Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 30/08/08 11:20 PM
There are also usermodes on certain networks that already do this.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 31/08/08 04:50 AM
You can use your notify list as an impromptu "buddy list" with the following one line script. No need for anything from hawkee or mirc.net. Add the following to your Remotes (Alt+R -> Remotes):

Code:
on ^*:OPEN:?:*:if ((!$notify($nick).ison) || ($istok($notify($nick).note,ignore,32))) halt

Then add your friends to your notify list. You probably have some there already. You can find the notify list editor in Alt+B -> Notify or type /notify NICKNAME or /notify NICKNAME NETWORK (for network specific nicks), and you can your online "buddies" at anytime with the notify list by pressing Alt+N or going to View -> Notify List or even by typing /notify -l. That makes a perfect buddy list.

You might have people on your notify you don't want to to message you. To ignore someone you simply add the word "ignore" to the "Note" field in the notify list editor for the username. If you use the note field for other purposes and don't want this behaviour, simply remove
Code:
|| ($istok($notify($nick).note,ignore,32))

from the if statement above.

Using the notify list also gives you the extra bonus feature of getting notices when your "buddy" gets online. You can also see them in your list when they're online, which is helpful.

Finally, if YOU open a query window with any user, they will not be blocked from messaging you until you close the window, so you don't need to worry about initiating conversations with non-buddies.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 31/08/08 05:42 AM
Not sure what happened, but it is impossible for me to read the code you supplied, without highlighting it, then doing a copy/paste.
It looks to me like a horizontal scroll bar, with nothing on top of it, which is weird, since, as I said, I can get the code no problem by highlighting the code section in the post, the doing a copy/paste.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 31/08/08 07:11 AM
Looks fine in my browser.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Would be a great addition to mIRC - 31/08/08 07:54 AM
Looks ok here now, too.. oh well.. nothing you could've done anyways, I believe.
© mIRC Discussion Forums