mIRC Homepage
Posted By: weedorcollege Quit Msg - 18/11/07 05:29 AM
Would it be possible to make mIRC stop allowing input of characters into the Quit message input field when you've reached the limit that can be show when you quit?

The only way I can check to see if my quit is cut off is to connect with another server window, join a channel I'm in, then quit a second later and look on the other window. Quite tedious.
Posted By: Collective Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 05:41 AM
The limit is imposed by the server, not mIRC. mIRC has no way of knowing what the cut off point will be as the length is not given as a token in raw 005 by any IRCd I've seen.

Testing the limits once on the servers you use and then remembering them is the best solution here. If you're unlucky then there won't be a specific limit for quit messages and the cut off point will also be decided by the length of your nick!user@host.
Posted By: Jigsy Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 08:33 AM
I think it's TOPICLEN=* that defines the length of a quit message.
Posted By: weedorcollege Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 01:32 PM
Is that a way to check the cutoff point before I his OK in the options menu?
Posted By: hixxy Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 02:42 PM
mIRC could store the full quit message in memory but only show and allow up to the cut off point when connected.

Obviously it'd behave the same as it does now if you're on a disconnected connection.
Posted By: Collective Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: hixxy
mIRC could store the full quit message in memory but only show and allow up to the cut off point when connected.

As I already said, mIRC has no way of knowing what the cut-off point will be, so how could it possibly do that?

Using TOPICLEN isn't reliable as it's almost certainly not derived from the same value as "QUITLEN" in any IRCd. Furthermore, on some servers TOPICLEN is not the length limit for quit messages and on others the length limit includes whatever quit prefix the server uses (e.g. "Quit: "), which is something else mIRC can't know.
Posted By: RoCk Re: Quit Msg - 18/11/07 03:26 PM

Just use a reasonable length and it shouldn't be a problem.
© mIRC Discussion Forums