mIRC Homepage
Posted By: AriesX DCC Speed Limit Control - 28/03/03 02:17 AM
I for one think that it would be pretty cool if the next version of mIRC allows you to be able to control the speeds of all of your xdcc's. I know I have had the problem of downloading something on irc and having it use almost all of my bandwidth preventing me from being able to surf the web and enjoy myself. So I really think being able to control that would be a very impressive thing. What do you guys think?
Posted By: theRat Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 28/03/03 11:39 AM
I have a solution for your problem... get your WAREZ/files elsewhere than IRC...
or go to your nearest "shop" and buy a video/magazine to enjoy yourself while you're downloading...

Sender can limit the speed of the DCC file send
Posted By: Watchdog Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 28/03/03 01:17 PM
1. Get broadband. :tongue:
2. As the Rat said if it is wares you are downloading, try buying some programmes instead. grin
Posted By: Tat Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 30/03/03 11:05 PM
Aside from these naysayers. I for one would like to see much better limits. I recall that old ICQ sends could limit bandwidth uploading or downloading. Also, I have seen that sometimes one download is getting such a good connection all other downloads are starting to fail. I personally would like to see per send/get limits and send/get total limits. Currently there is only the send total limit.
Posted By: _D3m0n_ Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 31/03/03 12:04 AM
why not trying to type to ppl and chat ....... who cares about being able to get programs online that u all should be buying anyhow ........ stop ripping ppl off all the time and the world itself would be a better place
Posted By: Tat Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 31/03/03 06:22 AM
There are plenty of large legal files sent though IRC. Just as there are through ICQ and other programs that have such speed limiting features.
Posted By: _D3m0n_ Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 31/03/03 12:29 PM
true there are legal files sent but that number of legal files that are sent via dcc i would presume to think u could find elsewhere ...... thats why ppl feel the need to send illegal files online ..... they cant get em elsewhere
Posted By: Angua Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 02/04/03 07:29 AM
as a matter of fact, it makes sense. since i am familiar with the matter, i would think that at the moment anyway, using IRC for downloading large files, is rather unpractical. good peer to peer (p2p) networks, like bittorrent or emule allow a much faster and elegant way of downloading anything which is ... lets say not exactly legal, since they allow parallel multipart downloads, whereas it is much more complicated to send a legal large file from one specific person to another, with a p2p network.

but if i want to send my self made video of my last vacation in greece, DivX coded to a friend, i can't use p2p, since i do not want everyone to have the possibility to see me at the nude beach on santorini laugh i will definitely use irc for that.
Posted By: trenzterra Re: DCC Speed Limit Control - 03/04/03 07:50 AM
Yeah i agree with Angua.

They should limit dcc chat too, sometimes for games played in DCC chat (by bots), it's getting way to fast to even read the text (eg, guess number game).
© mIRC Discussion Forums