mIRC Homepage
Posted By: x64 Italics? - 20/08/06 09:39 AM
Possibly have CTRL+T (ASCII 20) used for italicized text. Many times it comes in handy to be able to emphasize text without it looking like crap by bolding, or using *asterisks* or /slashes/.

Actually, for compatibility purposes something like [^C]98 might be a better alternative, that way other clients and ircds that filter colors will be able to filter/strip this without running into problems. I don't think any other IRC client has a 98 color pallet, so I don't think that would be a problem. (If i'm not mistaken ^C99 is used for transparency or default).

Edit: Sorry if this has been posted before.. I didn't see the "newer than 1 week(s)" option already selected when i did a search.
Posted By: landonsandor Re: Italics? - 20/08/06 02:12 PM
yes, it has been posted before and the general opinions were this (in no order of agree or disagree nor is this every reason):

1) No because other mircs cant do it and backwards compatibility
2) Yes, other clients can and have been able to for years while mirc never did, why should it be the standard
3) yes because programs like MS word and many others use bold italics and underline - seem to be the major 3 ways of formatting text
5) possibly, but it would need to be flood filtered
6) yes because reverse text is stupid and we should have italics

Try searching the whole forum with no range date and you should see it smile

All in all, I agree with Italics coming to mirc, but as always, I wait to see what happens smile
Posted By: PhantasyX Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 02:07 AM
I believe this has been suggested before.

I definately would like to see the possibility of italics and possibly strike-thru/out would be another nifty thing, though I can live with italics being added. =x
Posted By: x64 Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 01:38 PM
No.. I can only see strike-through as being abused. I'd rather have mirc either replace reverse with italic (ala pirch) or add it as a color code.
Posted By: landonsandor Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 03:53 PM
phantasy - yes, it has been posted, quyite a few times cool

x64 - not just strikethru - all methods of character manipulation have been abused - the only thing that qould change would be the method. bold has been abused, caps, underline, reverse, italics (in those clients that can do it), colors, upside down, inside out, cryllic, you name it. People would just start using STRIP in mirc's programming for somethign else. I long ago stripped all incoming text because it was getting nuts and I never regretted it. Of course I use my own coloringtheme to change things around.
Posted By: billythekid Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 05:50 PM
I'd like to see italics coming but not as a colour code, keep it to another code or replace reverse text, which has no purpose, you can ctrl-k0,1 for that.

i would be all for other formatting options including strikethrough. there is no reason to think it will be "abused" wtf... if you don't like it strip it. Lots of people do like olours/bold etc and there are entire networks devoted to ascii art etc in IRC.

Like most of the ideas on here, give us the option of italicised text. That way those who want it can use it and those who don't can turn it off.

btk
Posted By: landonsandor Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 06:50 PM
(replied to last post)

here's my take on the whole abuse thing:

What ISNT abused these days? If things are implemented properly, or have a way to block things from being used (which Khaled has done on a number of things), then as long as the implementation of it doesn't muck mirc up, why not add it? Do I mean for italics? Sure. What about registry access? If there's a way to PREVENT mirc from doing it, sure -perhaps in the LOCK options. Perhaps even an option on instal to allow a basic vs advanced instal (suggested before) where advanced opens everythign up and basic hides the most dangerous options. Do I mean it for smilies/emoticons? Yes I do. What about this or that? Sure, add them, but keep giving us the functional control over them that has historically kept mirc above and beyond the rest.

All Im suggesting is this (which may contradict my own comments from ages ago):

If we can turn off certain abilities, strip them, lock them, or otherwise protect our mirc/pc's from abuse, then add it. If "it will be abused" is countered with "not if you utilize this function/feature", perhaps more things would be added and less squabbling over minor things could be seen

The next comment is this - that I issue to mirc's population:

Dont just BLINDLY download a script or "basic mirc" from some website that you really dont know or trust. Over half the issues we have seen through the LIFE of these message boards has been because of that. I can say that because people here know I've been on these boards for 5 years or so and have helped answer many a question. I challange everybody to take responsibility over their own actions, be careful, cautious and protective of their systems and not blindly $$^$&$^&%&^$^%$&^&$^%$ things up.

(sarcasm) If people would just be cautious before using things, half these abusive issues wouldnt be around ..... and the other half we could filter(/sarcasm)
Posted By: billythekid Re: Italics? - 21/08/06 10:03 PM
Quote:

Dont just BLINDLY download a script or "basic mirc" from some website that you really dont know or trust. Over half the issues we have seen through the LIFE of these message boards has been because of that. I can say that because people here know I've been on these boards for 5 years or so and have helped answer many a question. I challange everybody to take responsibility over their own actions, be careful, cautious and protective of their systems and not blindly $$^$&$^&%&^$^%$&^&$^%$ things up.

(sarcasm) If people would just be cautious before using things, half these abusive issues wouldnt be around ..... and the other half we could filter(/sarcasm)

hear hear. With great power.....

I got another auto-virus-.rar-sender today, you wonder about these people at times, it was called become-ircop.rar or something. I mean, you can't tell some folk can you. I bet she was in some help room askin gwhy she wasn't an oper yet, She DID run the program after all... lol

It's a pity so many don't think about the power of the language. Just because somethign says, I can guarantee this has no backdoors, doesnt make it true(although i can guarantee that none of my scripts have any backdoors...... wink
Posted By: Jinx_Dojo Re: Italics? - 28/08/06 05:07 AM
I would love to see more text display options included in mIRC, but I don't think adding a single control code is the method by which to do it. Rather, mIRC should begin to silently transition into accepting formatting options like most IM clients do. Not to say I love the idea of insane/rampant formatting, but I view it as inefficient to use a single control code for a single purpose without considering expandability. For example, had it been foreseen, CTRL+K could have reserved the character concatenated with # to specify a following hexadecimal color value. Now it isn't practical because of backward compatibility.

A single control code or couple of codes with expandable options is our best bet for the future. This way, older clients could ignore definitions they do not understand, but the display would not be jumbled with unreadable characters. I honestly don't have a proposition for which ASCII character should be used. Use a new one or an existing--reverse's if you like (though it does have a function, and remember: CTRL+K with 0,1 doesn't work for people with black backgrounds). Using existing ones in combination with each other is likely the best way to ensure backward compatibility.

So, for example, when CTRL+R followed by CTRL+K is found, the control code would be "activated." Once inside the control code scheme, some sort of existing formatting system could be used such as BBCode or HTML/XML. Finally, CTRL+R followed by CTRL+K (or v.v.) would be used to close the expandable control code.

Complex? Maybe. Excessive? Not really. Once the system is in place, features could be added over time. Start out with only the existing options, but this time in a format that will not be prone to backward compatability issues.

Thank you,

Jinx
© mIRC Discussion Forums