mIRC Homepage
Posted By: keot mp3 id3 genres - 15/12/02 06:37 PM
i am guessing that there are several versions of id3 genres.
the tag in question is "JPop". my mp3 player (coolplayer) can use and reads this genre tag fully, but mirc's $sound().genre doesn't. i presume there are other genres that are missing as well.
will it be updated, or is it an error on my part smile ?
Posted By: Merlin Re: mp3 id3 genres - 15/12/02 06:48 PM
mIRC 6.03 currently only supports the ID3v1 tag. The extension you are mentioning is related to ID3v2 tags. For more information about the ID3 Tag definitions please read this.. Kintar0 made a ID3-Tag Reader which might be useful until a future version of mIRC supports it.
Posted By: theRat Re: mp3 id3 genres - 16/12/02 04:08 PM
mIRC is using windows media player for playing sounds so i believe WMP is also used for reading the id3 tag from files?
Posted By: codemastr Re: mp3 id3 genres - 16/12/02 07:44 PM
I doubt it is, media player would be using ID3v2, which mIRC does not. It appears mIRC reads it itself.
Posted By: theRat Re: mp3 id3 genres - 16/12/02 09:18 PM
Well I believe media player has function blaaID3read and mirc uses it, which reads only ID3v1 information for backwards compatibility but dunno...
Posted By: tom420 Re: mp3 id3 genres - 19/12/02 03:26 AM
Unless I missed it, there is no fonction in the Windows Media Player API to get the ID3 of the file. While it's easy to do, mIRC probably uses it's own mechanism to get the ID3 of the files, either with a proprietary algorithm or with one of the several libraries out there to do that.

But someone tell me, why the heck do you play your files through mIRC? The guys at nulllsoft did a great job out of WinAmp, the best music player I know of , and they made it available 100% free smile
Posted By: MonoSex Re: mp3 id3 genres - 19/12/02 11:08 AM
> there is no fonction in the Windows Media Player API to get the ID3 of the file.

I think it's possible in versions 7 and above.

> But someone tell me, why the heck do you play your files through mIRC? The
> guys at nulllsoft did a great job out of WinAmp, the best music player I know of ,
> and they made it available 100% free

Exactely, i don't see a point in playing mp3's trough mIRC.
© mIRC Discussion Forums