mIRC Homepage
Is it possible to make decode of UTF-8 for channel/private windows/etc as a default options(currently we need to open the Font window, and enable displaying(decode) of UTF-8), and if the current selected font don't have some char, automatically substitute missing characters in from another font.

I suggest, the feature like you have already implemented, in editbox, at activating the "Multibyte editbox".

(from the screenshot, the selected font was the standart Windows Fixedsys, we clearly see what mIRC have taken the special chars from another font).

Also enabling by default the "Multibyte editbox", is also a good idea.

Thank you.
As far as I know, UTF-8 can be enabled for all windows by going to the Font options dialog and checking "Use as default". I don't think this option appears for all windows, but I've been able to enable UTF-8 globally using that.

As for the font substitution, I'm not sure if that's a feature Windows even has. However, until we find that out, you could try using the font Bitstream Cyberbit, which is hosted on ftp.netscape.com and which you can find on Google, or Arial Unicode, which is said to come with Microsoft Office.
Quote:
As far as I know, UTF-8 can be enabled for all windows by going to the Font options dialog and checking "Use as default". I don't think this option appears for all windows, but I've been able to enable UTF-8 globally using that.

Yeah, you're right, i realize that after posting, but forget to edit, heh.

Quote:
I'm not sure if that's a feature Windows even has.

I don't know about Windows, but i'm sure what mIRC have, because this is already realized in Editbox.
Here is the confirmation:
1. Select the default mIRC font, Fixedsys, what doesn't have diacrtics for Western Europe languages.
2. Activate Options->Irc->Messages->Multibyte Editbox (that would activate "substitute missing characters")
3. Write in a editbox, some special chars, what Fixedsys doesn't have.

Notice the underlined with red chars, these was taked from another font.

I suggest to implement same think for channel/private messages.

Current, mIRC don't try to make anythink(at least to show a err message, maybe ? with a suggestion to change the font), but show a odd char(see these underlined with blue).

Imho, in current situation, when the default font is Fixedsys, what doesn't have any support for unicode, utf-8 power can't be used by simple users what doesn't know what he must change the font to see the special chars..
mIRC must use a unicode supporting font by default, or at least substitue these special chars from other fonts..
Yes, I see what you mean... I wonder if it's Windows or mIRC doing that.
© mIRC Discussion Forums