mIRC Homepage
Posted By: camomiletea Unicode support - 18/12/05 12:49 AM
One thing that bothers me is that mIRC doesn't support Unicode. As such, people may only communicate in a few languages that use Latin-1 encoding. I cannot type even a few words in Russian, without resorting to translitteration, i.e. using Latin characters for equivalent Russian ones (which is hard to read and even to write, as some characters have no equivalent -- Russian alphabet has 32 letters, while English has 26).

This will benefit everyone who wishes to use a different language that is not Latin-based, or has special characters not in the Latin-1 character set.

(If this feature is already available, and I just didn't find it, please tell me.)
Posted By: Quietust Re: Unicode support - 18/12/05 01:07 AM
The default search parameters is "newer than 1 week". If you extend it a bit, you'll find plenty of results.

It is possible to change your font and select a different character set to chat in a different language, but then everybody else will have to do the same. UTF-8 allows all languages to work at once, but it's not here yet.
Posted By: Rounin Re: Unicode support - 19/12/05 01:30 PM
It is possible to make mIRC support one alphabet besides English by running it inside a foreign locale setting, for instance a Russian locale. This can be done for instance by using Microsoft's AppLocale utility, available from www.microsoft.com .

I believe it's likely that mIRC will get Unicode support in the near future, but it still remains to be seen just how widespread Unicode usage will be among users. Here's to hoping it will be astronomically successful. wink
Posted By: Tuxman Re: Unicode support - 24/12/05 03:17 PM
It could all be so easy!

http://www.acko.net/node/51
Posted By: Rounin Re: Unicode support - 26/12/05 01:22 PM
But those scripts can't actually all of Unicode, they just convert the Unicode text that's in your code page. Many people's reason for choosing Unicode is to be able to talk in several alphabets at once, and these scripts don't allow that.
Posted By: camomiletea Re: Unicode support - 28/12/05 01:09 AM
Okay, thanks. Good to know it's "in the works".
Posted By: xDCDx Re: Unicode support - 13/01/06 07:13 PM
The appLocale solution is very nice (didn't know this utility until checking this post), but I am also looking forward to real Unicode support. smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums